Friday, 28 March 2014

Review - Dark Days by Kate Ormand

DARK DAYS book information:
Genre: Young Adult Dystopia
Publisher: Sky Pony Press (World)
Format: Hardcover (ISBN: 9781628735949)
Print release date: 3rd June 2014

Read as a digital advance reading copy 

Okay where do I start with this one!  

If you are familiar with my blog then you will know that I am huge fan of the dystopian genre, I love books set in a disturbing future, I like an unseen threat, I like a little romance and I also like a trilogy.

This book has most of those things!  

Set in the future, where people are living in sectors, time is running out for Sia and her parents, in 15 days she will die and the clock is ticking.

The residents of the sector live in terror of this day coming, surrounded by thick walls they hide away, thinking they can lie low, hidden away from the terror they know will be coming when the clock runs out.

The lucky ones are the families who have been deemed useful enough to go the new world, where they live comfortably not like in sectors where people rob each other for food and a curfew keeps everybody at bay.

Sia has a list of things she wants to do before she dies and she goes about checking them off.  Along the way she meets Mace, despite not trusting him at first they set off on a journey to survive along with those close to them, to fight back against what is coming.

Whats coming is cyborgs and they are the cause of this book being extremely bloody in places - the cyborgs kind of remind me of a cross between the Terminator as portrayed by Arnold Schwarzennegger and the latest incarnation of the cylons in Battlestar Galactica, they are really quite terrifying.

I think the most terrifying thing of all is knowing that something like that is coming to kill you and there is nothing you can do about it apart from try and hide, which as you read on you will discover that ain't gonna happen!  

Also this book shows how people behave when faced with an imminent threat - fight or flight? Unfortunately some people choose the flight option which is helped along by the continuous showings of other sectors being destroyed on the television.

I wont say anymore as I will spoil the read for you!

The only thing I would note is that I would like to know about how this came to be in the first place, a back story.  What happened to the world to make people live like this?  Could this be something we learn of in the future?

Now as I mentioned above I like a trilogy, the end of this book I feel sets it up for another journey in to this world.

There will be comparisons against other dystopian novels but I think this is a really good book, I certainly enjoyed reading it.  Its available from the 3rd June 2014.

Awarded 4 out of 5
Share:

2 comments

  1. Oh this sounds so good! Adding it to my TBR! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for replying, this is such a good book, I hope you enjoy it when it comes out!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig