Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Review - Divergent by Veronica Roth


I thought today I would share my thoughts on the excellent Divergent, Veronica Roth's disturbing vision of the future.

Unless you have been living under a rock for the last wee while you will be aware that this story has been made in to a full scale Hollywood blockbuster.

Now just before I review the book I just wanted to say that until I see the film I am just not sure about Theo James who plays Four as he is not Four in my eyes, but in his defence had I not seen him playing an arrogant idiot in the Inbetweeners Movie then I may have thought differently, also in his defence I have heard the comment that once you watch the film you get it!

Anyway back to the book, I first read this I think early 2012 and was totally blown away with it, I remember reading the last page, closing the book and then I opened it up and started reading it again.

The story revolves around a Chicago of the future, bleak and broken, the residents of the city are split in to five factions, Abnegation (selfless), Candor (never lie), Dauntless (brave), Erudite (knowledge seeking) and Amity (peace loving).  

At the age of 16, they have to go through an aptitude test to ready them for the choosing ceremony in which they decide which faction to belong too.  

During Tris's aptitude test she gets a rare Divergent result meaning she shows the characteristics of more than one faction but this is also a dangerous result, one which she needs to keep hidden.

At the choosing ceremony she decides to leave her family and joins dauntless.  So begins the story of Tris and her journey from plain Abnegation teenage to full on kick ass Dauntless woman.

The rest of the book follows her transformation and the discovery of corruption within the faction's leadership ranks.

Tris is a brilliant character and she is ably supported by a cast of her family, fellow initiates and instructors, notably the aforementioned Four who quite frankly in the book is hot, totally tall dark and handsome!

Luckily for us the story continues in both Insurgent and Allegiant.  Now I will tell you I have not read Allegiant, it has been sitting on my shelf since it came out in the UK and I am too scared to read it, I don't want the story to end!!

No matter what age you are Divergent is a great story and I recommend you read it!

Awarded 5 out of 5

Follow on Bloglovin
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig