Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Review - The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E Smith



I was kindly provided with an ARC by Headline Publishing / Bookbridgr

Release Date: 15th April 2014


For fans of John Green, Stephanie Perkins and Sarah Ockler, THE GEOGRAPHY OF YOU AND ME is a story for anyone who’s ever longed to meet someone special, for anyone who’s searched for home and found it where they least expected it.
Owen lives in the basement. Lucy lives on the 24th floor. But when the power goes out in the midst of a New York heatwave, they find themselves together for the first time: stuck in a lift between the 10th and 11th floors. As they await help, they start talking…

The brief time they spend together leaves a mark. And as their lives take them to Edinburgh and San Francisco, to Prague and to Portland they can’t shake the memory of the time they shared. Postcards cross the globe when they themselves can’t, as Owen and Lucy experience the joy – and pain – of first love.

And as they make their separate journeys in search of home, they discover that sometimes it is a person rather than a place that anchors you most in the world.
The thing that attracted me to this book was the cover, I am a sucker for anything that has stars on it so it called to me straight away and I couldn't wait to start reading it.

And read it I did, in two sittings!

Lucy lives in a New York high rise on the 24th floor and Owen lives right down in the basement, they pass each other but never talk until the fateful day they find themselves stuck inside an elevator (lift for my British readers!) during a power blackout which horribly coincides with a heatwave.

As they wait to be rescued they find out a little about each other, and as he lives in the basement, Lucy wants to know why Owen is on an elevator going up.

After they are rescued they continue to get to know one another and she discovers why he was going up in the elevator as he takes her to his favourite spot on the roof of the building, they bring supplies and watch the stars whilst sharing stories.  

Now this bit gave me a little bit of the chills only because the description of being on top of a forty odd story building and not being fond of heights made me go urgh!

The power eventually returns and Lucy is summoned to London by her parents, they live there because of her father's job, who have been worried about her since the blackout, Lucy doesn't get a chance to see Owen before she leaves but once she arrives in London she explores the city and sends a postcard back to Owen and this is where the story really kicks in!

Lucy and Owen both move away from New York, They start sending postcards to one another from the various cities and towns they end up in, Owen moves out west with his father and Lucy spends some time in Edinburgh.

Being Scottish I appreciated Jennifer's description of the city, I wouldn't say it smells of stew to me but I know what she is trying to say!

I won't spoil the story any more for you as I want you to read the book for yourself but I will tell you this is a beautiful story which had me in tears at various points throughout, I loved seeing the world through their eyes and I especially loved them using postcards in this day of emails, Twitter and Facebook.

Something else I like was the quick chapters that only had a few sentences on them, they really propelled the book forward.

A beautiful book, if you are a teenager or like me thirty something buy it, you will love it!

I award The Geography of You and Me 5 out of 5 (if it could make it 6 I would!)


Follow on Bloglovin
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig