Monday, 26 May 2014

BLOG TOUR!! Review - Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki


Welcome to my stop on the blog tour for 

Branded

by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki

WHAT SIN ARE YOU GUILTY OF?

I am very excited to bring Branded to the blog today, as well as my review I also have an excerpt for you plus some amazing images.  I hope you all enjoy!!


Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for providing me with a copy
Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best. 
Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home. 
Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain. 
Now every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.
The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me. 
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter. 
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.







I was thinking whilst I put this post together, what my sin would be, to quote Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly "Hell, I'm a fan of all seven", if my life depended on it and I had to choose one, I think I would have to choose sloth, no greed, no sloth, ok greed! I love food but also I love books and I get greedy with them, I want more, I'm like the Cookie Monster of books "Me want bookie"!


Anyway I digress, do you want to hear about the book?

Branded is the first book in the "Sinners" series, It's dystopian, so straight away it's earned a star from me, set in the future, A man - The Commander, has come to power, destroying all of those who stand in his way, he sees the population as a disgusting mass driven by the seven deadly sins, he wants all of those guilty of partaking in those sins punished, The Commander is an enigma, nobody knows who he is.

His method of punishment is extreme, your neck is branded with the colour of your sin, as you'll see on the picture below, blue is lust, mine would be yellow for greed and so on.


He also built The Hole, a place where the sinners are branded and left to live out the rest of their days, some serving the unbranded, some working in the hole itself, some just left to rot.  This hell hole is where Lexi Hamilton finds herself, and the brand on her neck? Blue for Lust, the worst kind, she has literally been labelled a whore.

Each new sinner has a guard to make sure they don't do anything stupid during their first few days and that honour falls to Cole, he is not cruel but he goes by the book and makes sure that Lexi stays in line, she understandably does not want to be in The Hole, who would, but the difference is Lexi is innocent.

Following her father's death, Lexi and her mother moved in with her step dad, a controlling cruel man and soon Lexi finds herself being charged with her sin of lust.

Her days in The Hole are a shock to her to start with, sent to work in the hospital, she is shocked to see filth everywhere and as she is branded in blue, people assume she is fair game, luckily she has Cole to protect her and his dog Zeus who is not to be messed with.

At the hospital she works with Sutton the Doctor in charge, he is a kind man, but can she trust him or any of the nurses there?  She is given the job of looking after a young girl Alyssa who is slowly dying, Lexi earns her trust and the two of them become good friends.

All, however, is not a bed of roses in The Hole, there is rumour of a resistance, an underground movement trying to destroy the Commander, bombs, shootings, rapes and murders are the way of life here but Lexi never seems to give up hope and slowly she begins to trust her guard.

Could she be falling for him, she shouldn't, after seeing the execution of the last guard and prisoner who fell in love would she be stupid enough to let her feelings be stronger than common sense.

There is also the problem of her brother, assumed missing, she finds out he is in The Hole and he is public enemy number 1.

As the story reaches it's amazing conclusion, a lot of hard decisions are made, lives are lost, but relationships are forged for the better and secrets from the past come tumbling out.

Branded is an amazing book, I kinda guessed Lexi and Cole's relationship would pan out the way it did, but there was so many other surprises in the book, It had a great cast of supporting characters, including Alyssa the young girl who was dying, Doc Sutton and Bruno the only other guard that Cole trusts, not forgetting the lovable but scary guard dog Zeus!

Lexi is a strong willed character and when she gets in to her stride she truly blossoms in to an amazing young woman, the book is incredibly well written and the world building is amazing, the story flows very nicely and you don't have any problem imaging the hell hole that they are in.  

It's the first in a series, so I look forward to seeing what book 2 has in store!

Branded is awarded 5 out of 5


Excerpt


I turn on the faucet for a long while only to discover ice-cold water rushing out. The water never warms and I begin to understand. The Commander thinks he can wash away my soul by freezing me to death. He thinks he can destroy me by stripping away my possessions. But he can’t and I won’t let him take my memories, my ambition, and my pride.

He thinks I’m so easily broken.

The Commander doesn’t know anything about me, what I grew up with, what I endured—the father I lost, the mother I hate, the brother who walked out of my life, and the stepfather I was forced to accept. He thinks since I was rich, making me poor will cause me to give up. What he doesn’t understand is that, after my father passed away, I grew up behind walls of hatred. I had nothing, but had everything at the same time. I owned expensive clothes, enjoyed good schooling, and lived in a nice home. But my body was just a shell protecting an empty, desperate heart. My life was a colourful fa├žade.

I had so much time to sit and think. I spent the majority of my life between four walls. I was abandoned, neglected, starved, betrayed, and abused. I’ve already been treated like the scum of the earth, so the Hole is nothing new. He wants to erase every sign of my existence on this earth, but I won’t let that happen. He can strip me naked, but he’ll never reach my soul.
It’s personal, completely personal.




About Abi and Missy 



Abi and Missy met in the summer of 1999 at college orientation and have been best friends ever since. After college, they added jobs, husbands and kids to their lives, but they still found time for their friendship. Instead of hanging out on weekends, they went to dinner once a month and reviewed books. What started out as an enjoyable hobby has now become an incredible adventure.




Follow on Bloglovin
Share:

4 comments

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig