Monday, 19 May 2014

GUEST REVIEW - Aunt Dimity & The Wishing Well By Nancy Atherton


Thank you to Headline Publishing & Bookbridgr for providing me with a copy

I am excited today to introduce a new feature on the blog, every so often I will be charming my good friends to give their unbiased opinion on new releases.  Also and this is because I don't trust them one little bit I'll be following up with my own review in the coming weeks, only joking! Or am I....

Anyway back to business, today's review is the latest book in the Aunt Dimity series from Nancy Atherton and for this one I handed over the reigns to my good friend and avid reader Velcro! 

Take it away!

The book is set in the Cotswold village of Finch; a sleepy little place where everyone knows everything about everyone; except one person, Mr Hector Huggins, who throughout his life in Finch has kept himself to himself. The story begins with the funeral of Mr Huggins and the arrival of his nephew Jack from Australia.

When Jack begins the renovations of his late uncle's gardens they discover a wishing well, and when a wish made by the well comes true it sparks off a torrent of wishes from all the village. Naturally it all goes horribly wrong.

The two main characters are Lori, an American living in the village and her Aunt Dimity who's dead. Yup, dead. They communicate via a big book in Lori's study with Lori speaking and Aunt Dimity writing her side of the conversation. It's quite a sweet idea and one in the hands of a good writer would work well, but this isn't the case here. The characters are bland, one dimensional creations, and the dialogue as lively as a corpse.

If you like gentle, well written mystery novels based in the Cotswold's read MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin series and stay well clear of Aunt Dimity.

2/5 and I'm being generous


Thank you Velcro for your review, has anyone else read the Aunt Dimity series, maybe you love it or maybe you prefer to read something with a bit more oomph to it, I'd love to hear from you!



Follow on Bloglovin
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig