Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Review - The Three by Sarah Lotz


Thank you to Hodder & Stoughton and NetGalley for providing me with a copy

Okay before you even think about opening the book or switching on your Kindle, visit the website www.thethreebook.com which is an amazing wealth of information on The Three.

Now I had picked up on the twitter chatter on this book a little while before it was released and I was intrigued, it sounded like it had the elements to make an amazing story, it grabs at your emotions, you feel terror whilst hanging on for dear life on the flight with Pam, experience joy when the children are pulled from the wreckage, prickle with fear as the guardians begin to realise something is not right with the children and I felt ashamed as well, ashamed that as usual a media circus starts up and does not let a plane crash be a plane crash and that grieving families are not left in peace.

There is a lot going on in this book, an awful lot, so my review is going to just touch on the edges of it - also a heads up, I have a love/hate thing going on with flying, I love planes but I hate turbulence, I managed to cope without any stress with the graphic air crash description, just don't read it on a plane.

This is not a traditionally told story from just one character's POV, it is told as a series of witness conversations, transcripts, media, emails etc that make up Elspeth Martin's book From Crash to Conspiracy -Inside the phenomenon of The Three, named after the three children found miraculously alive in the wreckage of the the planes that crashed within a short period of time of each other on the same day - Black Thursday.

We have Bobby, survivor of the Maiden Airlines flight that crashed in to the Florida Everglades, We have Hiro survivor of Sun Air Flight 678 that crashed in to a forest in Japan notorious for its suicides and we have Jess who survived Go! Go! Airlines flight that crashed in to the Atlantic Ocean on its return from the Canaries.

A fourth plane crashes in to a township in South Africa, Dalu Air Flight 467, killing not just people on the flight but on the ground too, rumours of a fourth child surviving this crash start instantly.

Hundreds of lives wiped out in an instant, these children are a sign of hope, they were also the start of a massive amount of conspiracies and the start of something much more sinister.

A mobile transcript emerges from (Click here to listen) the last words of Pamela May Donald....They're here....she was on Sun Air Flight 678, she does not survive and this starts the conspiracies which attract the religious nuts, who decide that Black Thursday announces the arrival of the four horsemen of the apocalypse and that the end is nigh.

There are a lot of characters in this book ranging from grandparents and neighbours to travelling salesmen and rangers who look for suicide victims, a list of them would be handy as I occasionally got a little confused when one popped up who hadn't been mentioned for a while.

The Three is not so much a scary read it is more of a disturbing read, the people we are introduced to in the book you see them slowly unravelling mentally as they first put on a brave face in the light of the media and then later as they realise that maybe the media conspiracies against the children maybe do have a foundation in the truth.  The scary thing is that all of this could happen, conspiracies are already on the go for the Malaysian Airlines flight that tragically disappeared.

However I did really enjoy this book, I loved the way it was set up, as a book within a book, it gets you reeled in from the start and when you get to the end, well you'll find out I hope but the ending is just amazing.

The Three is awarded 5 out of 5






Follow on Bloglovin
Share:

2 comments

  1. I just read (and reviewed) this and quite enjoyed it! I agree that it's more creepy than scary and I really like that it wasn't a traditional format. I found it a bit confusing and frustrating at times. Well done!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep it could be frustrating but I think the end result was worth it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig