Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Review - The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman


Thank you to Headline for providing me with a copy of this book

I have never read a book quite like this and to be honest it is extremely unlikely I will again, The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains is a beautiful book, I was lucky enough to see the hardback version and it is just divine.

Neil Gaiman who some of you may know as the author of Stardust, American Gods and many others initially released the text from this book back in 2010 but he has now come together with illustrator Eddie Campbell to produce a really dark magical story, I toyed with the idea of reading it with my oldest daughter whose is seven but at the last minute decided to savour it all by myself, I am glad as it may have been a little dark for her young tastes, saying that she is obsessesed with finding out about Macbeth so maybe I should have!

The story is set in the highlands of my beautiful country Scotland back in what felt like Jacobite times, men still wear kilts and women do what they are told, both text and illustration takes us on the journey of a man who is different to everyone else, he is a dwarf, he takes a journey with his sought out companion to find the mysterious Misty Isle and the cave that is hidden shrouded in the gloom and is said to hold riches, their path ahead is fraught with dangers both human and not so.

The two companions make an unlikely pairing but will they succeed in their journey and will the cave hold what they have been seeking?

This book has been inspired by the beautiful and magical island of Skye a place I have been lucky enough to visit several times, the illustrations that appear on every page truly add to the story bringing to life the dark haunting journey of these two men and who and what they meet on their way to the Misty Isle.

A gorgeous dark read.

Awarded 5 out of 5







Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig