Monday, 16 June 2014

Review - Not What They Were Expecting by Neal Doran

Thank you to Carina & Net Galley for providing me with a copy

I finished reading this late last night, which are words my husband will be glad to read as I woke him up with my laughter just after midnight.  This was my first Neal Doran book and you know what I might just read his other book!

Not What They Were Expecting is a brilliant look at the months leading up to impending parenthood, our parents Rebecca and James are young with successful jobs and are of course both over the moon with the news that they are going to be parents, that feeling does not last for long.

Rebecca's parents are overjoyed with the news but have some news of their own, now I feel very unworldly to have not heard of the term "cottaging" (look it up I did!!) but her father has been caught allegedly doing this something he vehemently denies and he goes all out to proves his innocence swept along by his publicity hungry wife.

James parents have lived an extremely alternative lifestyle, art and all manner of hippie stuff, something that James has gotten away from as fast as possible.

The good thing about this book is that its normal life now with the exception of bonkers parents, I can relate to a lot of this book, I have two young kids, that first impending baby is a shock to the system, the second well its a shock to the body!  James is made redundant during the book and I was also made redundant 18 months ago, his visits to the job centre and getting turned down for the most crap of jobs is also something I can relate to.  

James and Rebecca's life as the baby gets bigger starts spiralling a little, Rebecca's parents become more and more outrageous with their publicity stunts and James experiences the lure of new work colleagues and what happens when his past comes back to haunt him.  He also suffers a loss, now just to be totally inappropriate the funeral scene was what caused my earlier mentioned late night laughter, it reminded me of Father Ted when an inappropriate comment was shouted as the coffin was lifted, it was just brilliant!

I really did enjoy this book, it was funny, it was sad and the ending with the birth of their baby brought tears to my eyes.  

This book reminded me of male Marian Keyes and I mean that as a compliment.

Not What They Were Expecting is awarded 4 out of 5




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig