Monday, 9 June 2014

REVIEW - ARV-3 by Cameo Renae


Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy


The beginning of the end. The Apocalypse.

A nuclear fallout wiped out every living thing on the planet, except for a few thousand of us who took shelter in underground bunkers across the globe. Now, after thirteen long years, we were finally able to return to the topside to begin to rebuild.

We thought we were alone. We were never more wrong.

Before the fallout, scientists had worked on creating an anti-radiation vaccine (ARV). The first two attempts failed, but despite the incomplete tests and results, the government approved and distributed the third serum to the masses in an effort to aid those who had no shelter.

It worked, keeping those who remained on the topside alive, but it also altered and mutated them. This new and infectious threat had completely outnumbered us. Now, we not only had to rebuild our planet. We would have to fight for it.

My name is Abigail Park. I'm seventeen, and this is my story.




Well I did warn you this month would be dystopian heavy didnt I!!  Today's review is ARV-3 from an author whose work I have not read before, Cameo Renae.

So the one thing I noticed straight away at the start of the book, sorry it should be the second thing - I love the cover!, is that one thing I never hear mentioned before at least not in the books I read about is the fact that there is a lot of nuclear power stations in the USA, what would happen to them if something bad happened?, well in this case bad is solar burst from the sun knocking everything out, then it all goes to hell afterwards with the nuclear power stations exploding.

Abigail is one of the lucky ones, her dad is a prepper and together with her parents, some more of her family and their friends they make their home in a bunker to ride out the next 13 years hoping one day they can return topside.

Abigail is anxious about leaving her home but she is in good hands, especially with her best friend Finn who is starting to turn from a boy in to a man, at the beginning of the book she is almost shy to talk about him but yes friendship does turn to a lovely romance.  She is such a fiesty character, barely remembering the outside world she embraces her underground home becoming incredibly fit and becoming an expert shot!

Her father is in charge of their below ground home and he has learned from his friend in another bunker that there are survivors above ground but they are not friendly, killing anybody they come across and infecting those who get away, convinced that nobody could have survived the radiation in the last 13 years their thoughts turn to the last minute barely tested vaccine that was given out to the unlucky ones who did not have a safe haven to go to when things got rough.

They do leave the bunker and no sooner than the hatch is open they come across their first arvy - their name for the people who have been left outside, thankfully it is just the one but they are left shaken by the experience of this barely human milky eyed creature, they start making their way to the safe zone by foot, facing a trek of over 1000 miles they travel by night and try and rest by day.

The threat of the arvy's gets worse as they travel through areas infested with them but hope comes to them in the form of a government helicopter and they are whisked away to the safe zone - but do they get there?

ARV-3 is a fast moving novel, actually my only critiscm is that its maybe a little too fast paced a couple of times I wanted to experience more of their surroundings but hey if that was real life I might have got eaten - you snooze you lose!

I am hoping there will be another book as I would love to hear more from the characters, Abigail and Finn are great plus there is a host of supporting characters that are lovely such as Tina.

I really enjoyed ARV-3 and I am awarding it 4 out of 5







Share:

2 comments

  1. Thank you for reading and reviewing ARV-3, Heather!!! What an AWESOME review!!! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it!!! THANK YOU so much!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved it, love me some dystopian!! Xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig