Saturday, 30 August 2014

REVIEW - Wool The Graphic Novel by Howey, Palmiotti, Gray & Broxton


Purchased with my own shiny pennies!

So if you are a regular reader you will know that I love the WOOL series and all the books that it has given birth too, you will also realise that when I saw this graphic serialisation there was no hesitation in clicking the send to Kindle option.

First of all if you haven't read any of the WOOL books stop now and go here to my back catalogue of reviews and features on the WOOLiverse as even though the graphic novel will be an enjoyable read for you I highly recommend actually reading the original novel so you get a better understanding of what is going on.

WOOL as you know is set mostly underground in the Silo's and when I started reading the books I got images in my mind as to what I thought the inside of these massive structures looked like so to actually see the story in graphic form came as a total shock to my system, a good shock!

Now I have only ever really read one graphic novel before which was the first Walking Dead issue so I am by no means a veteran of reading these but in graphic form WOOL looks amazing, the illustrations are all in beautifully subdued hues,reds, purples, blues it just looks incredible but the one thing that totally threw me was the design of the silo.

The stairs to start with spiral down the centre of the building where as I had always pictured them running around the sides.  The actual floor heights are massive about twice the size I had imagined, areas such as the cafeteria and the gardens are just vast, one scene where you see the mayor walking through the gardens just gives you an amazing perspective on how big the actually are, they are almost cathedral like with the pillars of plants in rows up each side.

The actual shape of the silo too was nothing like I imagined, I pictured it straight up and down like a massive pipe almost but it flairs out at the bottom, my mind is totally blown.

Everything is bigger, I really feel I need to go back and read the story again with these new images in my mind to appreciate it from a new perspective, yes the graphic version is a more condensed version of the story but a picture tells a thousand words and from just looking at Juliette's eyes or the panic on Bernard's face you get an pretty good idea of whats going on.

I don't know if Shift and Dust will be getting the graphic treatment but I hope they do as WOOL the graphic novel has really enhanced my enjoyment of this already spectacular series.

If you have read it, I'd love to hear if it has changed your idea of what the silos look like, it certainly changed mine!

Awarded 5 out of 5




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig