Friday, 13 February 2015

BOOK REVIEW - Conquest by John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard


Thank you to Headline for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review

Now I have read many alien invasion books in my time but I haven't actually read one from the invaders point of view, Conquest has changed that.

Written by John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard it ticks all my boxes!  It is young adult, it is science fiction, it really scares you in scenes and it is set in my home country Scotland!  The latter I loved, it is so refreshing to read a book and intimately know the areas that are mentioned, from Edinburgh Castle to Perthshire (my backyard!), I love you America but it is so nice to read a book set in the UK!

Anyway I digress, what is this book about? The Earth has finally discovered we are not alone in the universe, an alien race called the Illyri have invaded, they have human qualities but they are definitely not the same as us, taken positions of power they haven't wiped out the human race, they are leaving it to get on with most things but if anyone falls out of line or rebels against them, well they will pay the price.

Syl is our leading character, her father is high up within the Illyri in Europe and she lives in relative comfort within the walls of Edinburgh Castle, one of the first of her kind to be born on Earth she feels trapped within the walls but her life is about to change when the resistance up the ante to start disrupting the Illyri lives and in turn let Syl meet two teenage boys who make an impression on her.

Conquest takes us on Syl's journey from typical "alien" teenager to on the run resistance member as she discovers her kin are hiding a massive secret not just only from us but from their own kind.  

This is a good YA/Sci Fi story, the only small problem I had with it was that it started off a little slow but bear with it it soon kicks it up a gear and provides you with a satisfying story filled with thrills, romance and some genuinely scary moments.  I'm looking forward to reading more in the series and should have the review for book 2 soon!

Awarded 4 out 5




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig