Monday, 13 April 2015

REVIEW - Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris


Thank you to Orion/Gollancz for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I confess I should have read this book a long time ago, well what I mean is usually when a Charlaine Harris book comes out I buy it straight away and devour it, but Midnight Crossroad came out not long after I started blogging and I was excitedly overwhelmed by some other crazy good books and they kind off got in the way.

If you are a fan you will know book 2 in this series (of which I will be reviewing soon, making up for lost time you see!) is out soon and I wanted to see if Midnight Crossroad lived up to the excellence of it's predecessors, you know the ones - Aurora, Sookie, Harper and Lily plus countless other stories Charlaine has written.

Midnight was nearly a did not finish, just nearly but I persevered, Midnight is a small town is the back end of nowhere, Texas, it's inhabitants are few but the ones who live there are close knit and a little on the eccentric side, new arrival Manfred Bernardo (devoted readers of CH's work should recognise this character from a previous series) has come to Midnight to start a new life and to work in private as a psychic.  

Now as we learn about him and the other people who live here it seemed to take ages to get anywhere, it did plod a little, those first couple dozen pages where a little tough but they are worth the wait.

The book all of a sudden goes from slow burn to WTF just happened?  What seemed to be a book about some quirky characters turns in to a supernatural murder mystery with the added bonus of some characters from all of her series popping in to the dialogue.

I don't want to spoil it for you but one of the town's residents girlfriend had walked out on him, her body is found, he is a suspect but it turns out her life was full of lies plus he has some of his and the other residents lives slowly become less private as the police start snooping round and some less desirable characters too.

Charlaine Harris is one of my favourite writers (though I'm not sure if I have forgiven her for the last Sookie book) and I am glad I stuck with this one, thinking back the town (if you can call it that) of Midnight is slow paced and the start of the book introduces us gently to the characters, told from several POV's too it really is an enjoyable read and I shall be starting book 2 very shortly.


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig