Saturday, 27 June 2015

The A to Z of Dystopia #1 - A is for Asteroids


So I had been trying to come up with some ideas for a good regular spot on my blog and after racking my brains for something original this is what I came up with.

A totally unoriginal A to Z post!!!!

What do I like that could go on about for 26 weeks??




Dystopia that is what!! 



I am going to pick one subject from this genre, it may be a person, it may be an event, it may be something useful but it will relate to dystopian books that I have been inspired by.

I love this genre in fact I wrote this post on my love for it last week!

So each week I shall ramble on and on and on, starting this week with the letter A!

What is it going to be (drum roll..........)




Definitions



noun

Also called: minor planet, planetoid. any of numerous small celestial bodies that move around the sun mainly between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. 

Their diameters range from 930 kilometres (Ceres) to less than one kilometre





Straight away when I think of asteroids, REM starts playing in my head, even my kids know it now thanks to Chicken Little!


So there are a few books that show the earth being smashed in to a by an intergalactic space rock, if the Internet and astronomers are to be believed, there are a lot of these objects happily floating around in space on a near earth trajectory.  

I am sure just now we have nothing to worry about, NASA or one of the crazy space companies out there will have a cool Armageddon style rocket gizmo's with Bruce Willis ready to blow them to smithereens or maybe not!


Anyway, an apocalypse that could originate from outer space is something that could totally happen, it has happened before with the dinosaurs and quite frankly even though I am totally ready to go Walking Dead on their decomposing asses, I really cannot see a zombie apocalypse happening any time soon.

The earth is littered with scars from previous encounters, thankfully nothing large has hit us in a long long but I did have the hairs on the back of neck standing up when I saw the videos of the Russian incident where you can quite clearly see a meteorite burning its way across the sky.


I recently read a book called The Ark by Laura Liddell Nolen where a select group of people leave the Earth behind just before a massive asteroid hits, it has a totally chilling description of the exact moment the asteroids hits, I'd imagine it would be something like below but without Pink Floyd accompanying it.



I think (I hope) the size of this asteroid has been greatly exaggerated, but it does give me the chills watching this.

NASA, seriously, I am glad to know have a whole Near Earth Orbit project going on which you can read more about here including a very helpful bit to differentiate between asteroids and meteors, because I always get them mixed up! Not any more!


To be honest this is the one apocalyptic event I fear the most, along with nuclear war, it is too real.  But if the shit does hit the fan, like my man above there isn't a lot you can do about it!

Well unless you have Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis ready to suit up!


What would your letter A in the dystopian alphabet be? 

I did consider

Apocalypse!

Aerobics (the need for fitness in the apocalypse!!!!!!)

Armageddon (really just the same as apocalypse)!

Airborne Viruses!

Aliens!

Also please let me have your book recommendations for this genre, I love to hear about new books!

Thanks for reading this far, until next week and the letter B - B is for Bruce (Willis)?!


Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

5 comments

  1. This is a great post idea!! I haven't read a lot of Dystopian books but the ones I have don't go into detail of what was the cause of decline of the society. This frustrates me because I like the background information to get a full understanding of the story. But my "A" would be for action. My favorite genre is paranormal because of the action. I don't need killing but some excitement is good. I like your choice for "B" so I'll have to stop by to see what you share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I just wanted to do something fun and for me!!

    I'm the same I like to know the cause, I need a background story!

    A for Action is good, I'm gonna sit down tonight and plan my next 25, Bruce may get a mention next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any asteroid book recommendations. I love this feature, though. I have to subscribe so I don't miss any posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a time when asteroids and aliens were the staple dystopia in Hollywood. I remember Armageddon and Deep Impact sooo well! :)

    I love dystopia, too! There are probably a lot more that I haven't read! I don't have any asteroid related dystopia books to recommend, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great films! Cheesy but great!

      I'm discovering new dystopian books every week, there are far to many to read!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig