Friday, 12 June 2015

REVIEW - Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married by Marian Keyes


I bought this book from an actual bookshop (I know I can't believe it either, how I managed before the internet) way back in the year 1997! 
It has had many different covers, this is the one I own!


When Lucy Sullivan is dragged by her friends to visit a psychic, she thinks it will be a bit of a laugh. She doesn’t believe for one second that the prediction will come true; there’s just no way that she will be married within the year!
In fact Lucy doesn’t even have a boyfriend.
But then she meets gorgeous but unreliable Gus. And the handsome Chuck. Oh and there’s Daniel, the world's biggest flirt. And even cute Jed, the new guy at work.
Is it written in the stars? Or will Lucy finally take control of her own destiny and find the perfect man?


A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I read my first Marian Keyes book, I actually cannot believe it was 18 years ago.  Which of course makes me feel extremely old!

I decided to review this book today as a walk down memory lane, revisiting the fab story of little Lucy Sullivan and whether or not she gets married.  I have read a lot of Marian's books over the course of the last 18 odd years but this story has to be my favourite, not only is an excellent story it also reminds me of a time of my life when I was young and sorta innocent!

Lucy Sullivan works in London and her well meaning (interfering) workmates drag her along to meet the revered psychic Mrs Nolan.  Naturally sceptical of all things like this, Lucy is prepared to take it all with a pinch of salt .  Mrs Nolan tells Lucy that she will be married within the year, her workmates are overjoyed, Lucy is underwhelmed, she doesn't even have a boyfriend let alone a potential fiancĂ©.

Her flatmates also mock her news, Karen and Charlotte are very different but they love their lives and the single girl lifestyle that they lead.  A man will never come between them all.  Not until Lucy meets Gus.

Gorgeous Gus, Crazy Gus, Ever So Unreliable Gus, he is not exactly Prince Charming but to Lucy, well to Lucy he is her knight in shining armour.  Her best friend Daniel disagrees, he does not trust Gus one little bit, but Lucy won't be told so he leaves her be.  

Daniel is the world's biggest flirt, women throw their knickers at him wherever he goes and when he starts dating Lucy's flatmate Karen, Lucy finds herself mortified and strangely jealous, but she has got Gus why should she be jealous?

As her relationship with Gus develops she starts to realise that maybe he is not Mr Fantastic after all, things don't add up and he really likes a good drink, is he worth it? Especially as Daniel seems to be looking at her with eyes more akin to a lover than a friend.

Who is Lucy's Mr Right?

Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married is a fabulous story with plenty of humour, lots of well versed girly chats and bitching, it is basically one big fun read.  I love Marian's style of writing and her books have been a mainstay on my shelf for a long time and for many years to come.



Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

8 comments

  1. I've never read a single Marian Keyes book. Probably won't have to wait too long until I discover her, though. I can no longer resist her. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is brilliant, such a brilliant back catalogue of books! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like one of those really fun, girly books I don't read enough of but always love on the rare occasions that I do. I'll have to keep it in mind for when that very mood strikes. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read enough of them either but when I need something lighter this is what I am looking for! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this sounds really good, Heather! Lucy sounds like a character I'd enjoy quite a bit, so I think I need to get to know her ;)

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy is great, just a terrible taste in men!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I feel like I might not enjoy this one as much as I would like to because it seems like there are too many men in here for Lucy to be torn up between. I am intrigued to see who she ends up with though, so a maybe for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She ends up with the right one! It is really good!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig