Wednesday, 10 June 2015

Waiting on Wednesday - Armada by Ernest Cline


Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that everyone’s talking about!

  • Hardcover: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Century (16 July 2015)
  • Language: English

THE NEW NOVEL FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF READY PLAYER ONE
Zack Lightman has spent his life dreaming. Dreaming that the real world could be a little more like the countless science-fiction books, movies, and videogames he’s spent his life consuming. Dreaming that one day, some fantastic, world-altering event will shatter the monotony of his humdrum existence and whisk him off on some grand space-faring adventure.
But hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little escapism, right? After all, Zack tells himself, he knows the difference between fantasy and reality. He knows that here in the real world, aimless teenage gamers with anger issues don’t get chosen to save the universe.
And then he sees the flying saucer.
Even stranger, the alien ship he’s staring at is straight out of the videogame he plays every night, a hugely popular online flight simulator calledArmada—in which gamers just happen to be protecting the earth from alien invaders.
No, Zack hasn’t lost his mind. As impossible as it seems, what he’s seeing is all too real. And his skills—as well as those of millions of gamers across the world—are going to be needed to save the earth from what’s about to befall it.
It’s Zack’s chance, at last, to play the hero. But even through the terror and exhilaration, he can’t help thinking back to all those science-fiction stories he grew up with, and wondering: Doesn’t something about this scenario seem a little…familiar?
At once gleefully embracing and brilliantly subverting science-fiction conventions as only Ernest Cline could, Armada is a rollicking, surprising thriller, a classic coming of age adventure, and an alien invasion tale like nothing you’ve ever read before—one whose every page is infused with the pop-culture savvy that has helped make Ready Player One a phenomenon.



Now two important things here, the first being *whispers* I have not read Ready Player One, I know, I know I should have but I never got round to it but I am the proud owner of a shiny new paperback copy. 

Second thing when I was setting up this post I thought I would be waiting till next month to see this book but thanks to the wonderful publishers I have a copy on my Kindle, which I may or may not have had a peek at.  OK maybe it was more like a long pause but it looks ah-may-zing!

Have you read Ready Player One or do you also have a copy of Armada, what did you think?


Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

10 comments

  1. I read Ready Player One and it's pretty fun. All the references, as you've no doubt heard. :) This one looks good too, reminds me of The Last Starfighter, at least the part about the game being a training thing. it'll be a blast I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that I saw The Last Starfighter mentioned in it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Seen this one around quite a bit! Really should get on with reading Ready Player One, I hear a lot of people rave about it! Plus I've been in the mood for a good sci-fi, Great Pick and Happy Reading! :)

    Erica @ Read It. Note It.
    My WoW Pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally bought the paperback, so as soon as I finish Armada I'm gonna read it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I loved Ready Player One, it was basically nostalgia in it's best form! I can't wait for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really cannot wait to read Ready Player One! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I must read Ready Player One. Must. Must. Must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I MUST TOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read Ready Player One either, and I don't yet owe a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, I'm enjoying it so far!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig