Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Tech Talk - The One About Checking Your Old Posts


Ok first of all I am no technical, blogging genius, far from it, Google and the plethora of tech blogs out there are my friends when I need help with figuring out how to do something.

I just thought I would start this feature, that I will post from time to time as I discover helpful hints and tips that I thought I would share with you all, you may know already but hey humour me!

This week I want to talk about checking your old blog posts, they may be old but they need love too.


The very reason this post came to light was because I was looking at my older posts, more specifically the very first book review I ever posted which was Kristen Simmons - Article 5.

I posted this back in February 2014, I had no idea what I was doing with the blog and was making it up I went along.  The post was basic it included a picture and my review, nothing spectacular but hey I was blogging and on fire.

Fast forward a year and half I still make it up as I go along but I have a few more followers than that February and today I thought I would re-share some of my older posts.  All was going well until I opened up the post and saw a vital piece of it was missing.


My cover image had vanished and I was left with one of those annoying boxes that signalled something was wrong.

I had a bad link and I don't know how long it had been like that but it had to be fixed, I replaced the image and then I thought what else could be wrong?


OMG, I had a couple of howlers in the spelling and punctuation department, I was so ashamed (over dramatic I know), so I quickly fixed them, pressed save and all was ready to go, everything was ok in the world again!

Now I know what I have posted is not the end of the world but I still get visitors on a daily basis looking at my older reviews and although those posts are in the past for you the blogger they may be current for the person reading it, they may have only just came across that book you read two years ago.

Of course it is also a mammoth task to check your old posts, I have over 600. Nobody has time for rechecking all of that but what I have started doing is posting on FB and Twitter an anniversary archive post linking to what I posted on that day a year previously, I am hoping if I have made any other mistakes I'll come across them that way.

I hope this has helped, I am away to check my spelling!

Are you bothered by your older posts?
Do you check if they are still getting traffic?
Let me know if you have any tips or tricks!


Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

20 comments

  1. My older posts rarely get traffic, so I don’t look at them. I probably should. The last time I checked them was when I changed the design of my blog. The formatting of some of my older posts got really, really messed up. I deleted the posts instead of trying to fix it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See mine still do, I have deleted posts where they are no longer relevant too instead of fixing them up.

      Delete
  2. I still get some visitors to my older posts, but hardly any comments though. So I wonder if those visitors are real peopel or not. Still I think checking your old posts now and then is a good idea, but also a huge task.
    I switched headers for my posts eventually and I went back and changed some past posts, but not all. Then there are posts which formatting is seriously messed up form since I switched from blgoger to wordpress. When I link to one of them or come across them I might change things, but it just takes too much time to go back and fix everything, although I wish I could as it sure bugs me to see those old posts looking weird or having an old banner. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point Lola, are they real? I think that is really the best way to check is if you have to relink them to a new post. It is an epic task!

      Delete
  3. I rarely check older posts, but I probably should! I'm a bit lazy when it comes to keeping track of my stats, so I have no idea if old posts are still getting hits - one of these days I'm going to take the time to recheck a few. Thanks for this reminder Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all right, it is such a huge task!

      Delete
  4. Hi Heather,
    I know exactly what you mean. When I upgraded to the UBB I went through literally all of my old reviews to update them to the new style. Note I only say reviews, it's because memes, etc are all a new thing with me lol. My blog content used to only be reviews.
    I think re-visiting older posts is a good thing. I don't re-do the content, only the style and just a general check-up on how it looks :) Making them all shiny again basically lol.
    Great post :D
    Have a great day,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the wonderful UBB, I saw that you have to go and redo the older posts - I still want it though, one day it will be mine!!

      Delete
  5. I really don't do that anymore. I used to check here and there but after a while there's just too many posts to keep doing that with. If I happen to need to check a post and something is up with it I'll do a quick edit but I don't purposefully check anymore. With almost 1900 posts it's just a bit too much to keep up with anymore :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lot of posts!! Totally understandable that it is not possible!!

      Delete
  6. God I never even really thought to do that (my blog is still new though). Great post and something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Checking old posts is a good idea, but reposting an annual archive? That's new trick to me but one I'll be copying. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just do it a couple of times a week, like a this time last year or a from my archives.

      Delete
  8. This is great advice! Even though I have had UBB for over 6 months, I am still slowly adding old reviews, so I get to seeing my old posts quite a bit lately. *cringe* I have been updating things as I go. It's tedious, but necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be a job and a half but a nice trip down memory lane!

      Delete
  9. I DO try to check old posts, because I somehow did something dumb (I have no idea what, only that it was dumb and broke my graphics- ALL OF THEM) and every old post is jacked up. But it's also ridiculously time consuming so.. I generally update them "as needed"- say I am linking to an older review, or sending the link to a publisher when requesting a sequel, whatever. But I really should do more. Though, my first couple of posts are such unformatted messes that I don't even bother. Maybe people will just look at them ironically or something? Wishful thinking hah. Great topic, thanks for the reminder that I need to continue doing this :)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the best thing is just as and when, it is such a mammoth task, I was just appalled at the fact the images had gone.

      Delete
  10. I actually never really go back and check on my old posts. Mostly when it comes to my posts I make sure that I check over them when they are published so I usually catch out spelling and things like that then. But personally I am not interested in back then xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too but something usually slips the net!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig