Saturday, 4 July 2015

The A to Z of Dystopia #2 - B is for Bunkers


Hey! You came back, you are so sweet!!


Anyway less of the sugar more of the destruction of the planet by some terrible force!


If this is your first week I better remind you exactly what I am getting up to.

I am going to pick one subject from the Dystopian genre, it may be a person, it may be an event, it may be something useful but it will relate to dystopian books that I have been inspired by.


So each week I shall ramble on and on and on, last week was the letter A!
What is it going to be this week (drum roll..........)


So this week, the serious topic in the A to Z of dystopia is the bunker, no I'm not talking about the type of bunker you find down you local 18 hole gold course.


I'm talking about this kind!


At this moment in time I imagine that there are hundreds of thousands of below ground structures designed to house people in the event of some sort of attack.

Some are secret!


This is totally true by the way, definitely not a made up sign! An hour or so from where I live is Scotland's Secret Bunker visitor attraction, which one day I hope to visit!

Some are built in to mountains!


Some are hidden behind big massive doors!


Some can happily fit in lots of people...


In luxury!....


For a long, long time!


Prepping is a way of life for a lot of people, they plan for whatever is coming, some stockpile food, some build bunkers, some do both, they are prepared for whatever apocalyptic event or events hit us.



There have been many books that have covered life living underground, too many to mention here, notable read for me have to be the biggest baddest underground bunker of all.  


Well it's actually a silo but it is still allowed on this page as it has been written by Hugh Howey in the Silo Series which started with WOOL, also ARV-3 by Cameo Renae where the main characters father is a prepper.

A lot of people think preppers are crazy.


I don't, I think, yes some are very eccentric but you have some that are just normal Joe's who want the best for their family if the shit hits the fan.


So would you do the whole bunker thing (assuming you had the chance), could you live underground?

I could if it was this one!


Seriously, I think I could at least give it a try, I would want to give it my best shot.  I would hate not seeing the sky, I would hate missing all those things you take for granted like clean water or WiFi (!!). 

But if it meant my family being safe then yes I could do it.


Of course we could all just hot foot it to the nearest large fridge, as Harrison Ford showed us in the last Indiana Jones it can survive a nuclear blast!

What would your letter B in the dystopian alphabet be?

I did consider....

Buggin' out

Bruce Willis (and the wonderful armaggedon)

Blast

Big Brother

Brave New World


Book recommendations for bunkers would be appreciated!!!

Next week the letter C! 

C is for.........





Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

2 comments

  1. I totally agree with most preppers. Did you ever watch that show Preppers? It was pretty good. Ya, there were a few crazies, but I loved that they made a point to rate everyone's progress for the likelihood of an actual disaster. If i had the chance i would probably be right there with them.
    I would have loved to see B is for Buggin Out and it goes right along with this post. I am really enjoying this feature, thanks for the food for thought.
    The kid who dreamed us up wakes up....scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did watch a bit, some where amazingly organised, scary organised. Once I get to Z I might go right back to A again and do the others I thought about, I have three or four for most letters so enough for a couple of years!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig