Saturday, 18 July 2015

The A to Z of Dystopia #4 - D is for Decay


Hey! Welcome to week 4 of my A to Z of Dystopia!



If this is your first week I better tell what I am trying to do!

I am going to pick one subject from the Dystopian genre, it may be a person, it may be an event, it may be something useful but it will relate to dystopian books that I have been inspired by.

So each week I shall ramble on and on and on, we have had already the letter AB and C this week it is the turn of D!

What is it going to be?.....(drum roll..........)






Now usually I try and attempt to be funny when I do this but the subject matter really does give me the chills, the reason being it is happening in parts of the world already.

The settings for most dystopian novels is a world that is slowly decaying, nature claiming back the Earth, buildings slowly being torn apart by plants and trees.  


Picture: WORTH1000.COM

I find it kinda creepy when you see pictures both current and mocked up, like the one above of a decaying Tower Bridge in London.

Below is very much real, an entire island of the coast of Nagasaki in Japan, deserted, crumbling and a little bit creepy don't you think?

I just find myself fascinated by these places, you start to wonder who lived there, what sort of life did they live and why did they leave?

Stephen Patterson

Across the world from Chernobyl to Walt Disney World (a strange combo I know!) decay is evident and most of it is due to man.

Sometimes decay looks beautiful....


Sometimes decay makes you sad for what it once was....

After The Final Curtain

Sometimes decay makes you wonder how much money went to waste....

Ralph Mirebs


Have I depressed you yet?


There, there! Let's now look at something much worse!


Oh calm down you big baby, I thought I had better look at what artists and authors imagine the world to be like following an apocalypse of unknown sorts, it is much scarier!

This is...

DUBAI
http://jonasdero.deviantart.com/

NEW YORK CITY
http://jonasdero.deviantart.com/

 TAIPEI
http://jonasdero.deviantart.com/

TOKYO
http://jonasdero.deviantart.com/

Aren't these images both terrifying and enthralling? They are the work of Jonas DeRo, you can see more of his work here at Deviant Art.

Do you think the world would succumb to nature and decay quickly? What has been your favourite book to feature a ruined world?

What would your letter D in the dystopian alphabet be?


DEFCON

DOOMSDAY

DISASTER MOVIES

DYSTOPIA (WHAT IS IT?)


Next week the letter E! 

E is for.........




Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig