Wednesday, 29 July 2015

REVIEW - The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs


Title: The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy
Author: Sam Maggs
Publisher: Quirk Books
Release Date: 12th May 2015
Source: ARC - NetGalley


 
Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPG's, it has never been a better time to be a girl geek. 

This is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. 

With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild.
I like to consider myself a nerdy, geeky kinda girl, I love my gadgets and it is rare for me to be further than half a metre from my iPhone, Kindle, Nintendo 3DS or Laptop.  They are my electronic portals to all the things I love.

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy is a fun look at the world of the fangirl, it does not take itself to seriously but it does hold your hand a little and I have seen some reviews that have taken a dislike to that fact.

Me, I don't mind this, I don't belong to any one fandom, my geek interests range from Disney and Regular Show to Firefly and Battlestar Galactica and to be honest I didn't read this book for tips and tricks to be a fangirl, I read it as a fun snapshot of geeky culture at this point in time.

I did not realise there was so many dedictated fandoms, I have been aware of SuperWhoLockians and Trekkies but Bookwalkers (GOT fans), Merlinians and Oncers are new to me.

A good thing about this book is that is features interviews with some great ladies such as Erin Morgenstern (Author of the Night Circus) and Beth Revis (Author of Across the Universe), which is a nice touch a long with some cute illustrations.

I think (to me) this is a book aimed at at much younger audience, people who are just discovering the wonders of all that is geek, maybe teens who have just witness their first Firefly episode or who have bought their first comic book.

A fun read.

Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review



Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

4 comments

  1. This sounds like a lot of fun! And it speaks to a lot of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks cute and as a fellow Geek Girl and professed Whovian, Browncoat and many more fandoms I can see the appeal of this for young, budding geeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep it is perfect for the younger up and coming nerd girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig