Monday, 13 July 2015

REVIEW - The Selection by Keira Cass



Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

I have been aware of this series for a long, long time and have just never gotten around to reading it, until now! There is a lot of praise for this book, a huge amount of love for it, will I like it?

Well first of all one thing I do like is the cover, it is beautiful with THAT dress, wow, it does actually remind me of an episode of Firefly in which Kaylee goes to the ball with Captain Reynolds and wears a massive frou-frou dress though nowhere near as nice as this one.  

Anyway the cover is very eye-catching but is the inside as good as the outside?

The story features America Singer, a 17 year old who lives in dystopian America, she is chosen to take part in the Selection, a televised contest of 35 different girls, one of which will become the wife of the handsome Prince Maxon.

America is not interested in becoming a princess but for the sake of her family she enters the competition and is shocked to find herself one of the 35.

The Selection is a cross between America's Next Top Model, Big Brother with a sprinkling of the Hunger Games on top. To be honest, the dystopian aspect wasn't really there for me, it is obvious it is set in the future but if you are looking for deep, dark dystopia this is not it.

What it is though is a great look at what happens when you put girls together to win something, we become bitches! Of course a lot of the 35 girls are sweet and innocent, some however are not.  There is a lot of dresses and makeup going on, something that America has never really been interested in.

America struck me to begin when she entered the palace as a little annoying, but she is a teenage girl, but I did warm to her as the book progressed, she is a feisty, opinionated young girl as I am sure I was when I was that age and to cut her some slack she is away from her family "battling" to become a princess to secure her families future.

I liked this book, I didn't love it but I am going to go straight in to the next book as it also has high praise and I really do want to see if America becomes a princess!


Thank you to Harper Collins Children's Books for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.






Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

16 comments

  1. Tho I don't like dystopia, I do love the gown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous! I'd love a dress like that!

      Delete
  2. The cover is certainly beautifull. I put off readign this one for a long time because of all the hype and I wasn't sure whether I would like it. I only read The Selection so far, but do plan on continuing the series as I enjoyed it. It's a pretty light dystopia indeed, luckily I knew thta before I started reading. I liked America and how down to earth she was, it was refreshing how she didn't really want to become a princess and just entered so her family would have it better. Great review! I hope you'll enjoy the enxt book as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lola, I thought it would be a bit more dystopian but I will see what the next book is like!

      Delete
  3. Ah but this book has one. Of those annoying love triangle, doesn't it? :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! Who will she end up with!

      Delete
  4. I just finished off this entire series last week. I feel pretty much the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the next two so will read till the bitter end!

      Delete
  5. this book is on my list of books I'll probably never pick up.. the hype surrounding this series is unreal, but I'm sick of dystopias and this doesn't sound appealing to me.. I don't know. Is it worth the read? :)

    - Jumana @ Books by Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are sick of dystopia, you could read this as I wouldn't really class it as dystopian, it barely touches the surface of that area. If your gut says no, leave it!

      Delete
  6. I am so on the fence about this one! I have it, and I LOVE Dystopian in general, but I am worried because well, the end was spoiled for me, and now I don't know if it is worth it! I will likely read it someday, because a dystopian that takes a page from America's Next Top Model DOES sound right up my alley ;) Lovely review!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you are saying, it was a difficult one but I hate giving up on a series. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Unfortunately, America bugged me more in book #2 than she did in this one, BUT the final book redeemed things for me!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well will start book 2 soon but glad the last book makes it!

      Delete
  8. I have heard such good things about these books so I cannot wait to personally try them myself. I like the battle between wondering who she might choose and the covers are lovely. Onto my TBR it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig