Thursday, 6 August 2015

Beyond the Books - My Furry Baby!

KissinBlueKaren

Beyond the Blog is a weekly meme hosted by KissinBlueKaren where she throws out a topic (mostly non-bookish), and we blog about it!

This week the topic is Pets!


The furry heart of my family belongs to the best dog in the world Fern, our gorgeous 4 year old ginger (I am sure there is a fancier name for her colour) cocker spaniel.


They say dogs are like their owners and it is true we have matching hair, though hers is in much better condition.


There has hardly been a time in my life when there has not been a dog in it, growing up my parents had golden labradors and retrievers, my current furry brother from another mother is a hairy beast called Rowan who is just adorable.

I have had cats when I lived on a farm years ago but I prefer my a dog, cats are too cunning, dogs are intelligent but cats always look like they are plotting to kill you.

Fern was one of six pups and this is her below with her sister Tay who is her best dog friend (Tay on left, Fern on the right).






She is wonderful girl, affectionate, prone to crazy zooming about moments, obsessed with bananas and partial to sleeping in strange places like my laundry basket.




She really is the most smiley dog too, though these pics don't show it so much, I have never known a dog to look so happy all the time.








She came in to our life at a time at at time when we needed lots of furry affection (and had lots to give back) and started to mend a massive hole that had been left by this handsome boy.


Max was our first furry baby, he was a wonderful wedding present from one of our good friends.  He was a massive black labrador retriever, the kind that people cross the road to avoid but he was our beautiful boy, so big and soft but alas he was not with us long.

Max had epilepsy which was treated with a pill every day but at the age of seven the fits that has been once or twice a year started coming a couple of times a day, he got worse and worse, the pills got stronger but he got sicker and one day he left us, it broke our heart.

I think about him everyday and I wish he was still here as him and Fern would have been great pals.

I'd love to get Fern a little pal one day, maybe a kitty cat.....


Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

20 comments

  1. I am so sorry about Max. I can relate to that hole you mentioned feeling after losing him. Fern is beautiful. She looks like such a sweetheart and fun too! I miss having a dog around. Someday . . . A little kitty for your dog would be fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a sweet natured wee dog! Kitty would be good!!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Fern is beautiful and love the pic with the glasses! SO sorry about poor Max. I agree dogs are the best. I had one growing up and couldn't wait to get one with my husband who also loves dogs. I would like to get my little guy a pal but we will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same as soon as we got married, Max came along, dogs are the best!

      Delete
  3. Awe! Fern is so cute. Sorry to hear about Max, that sucks. I bet Fern just loves being your one and only, but I agree that having a play pal can be endearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, she is a big baby and loves playing with her sister, I just hope if she gets a friend she doesn't get jealous.

      Delete
  4. Fern is gorgeous. Does she like to eat strange things? My uncle had a spaniel and she ate everything from crayons to pantyhose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is partial to spiders but thankfully she doesn't seem to go for crayons and the likes now she is older, when she was a pup she chewed them but not now.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss but it must have been hard to watch Max in pain. It is good that Fern was able to help your family heal. I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, it was but he isn't suffering now and I am thankful we had him for seven happy years.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry about Max, he looked like a big nice dog. Fern looks so adorable, and I know what you mean by "smiling dog", I have two smiling cats :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was the best, but Fern is wonderful too!

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about Max, the pain of losign a pet never fully goes away. Your Fern looks so adorable, such a happy dog. And her fur is so beautifull. I wish I could pet her. Even though I am often the type of cross the road to avoid dogs, I still like them as well. I hope I can get over my fear ones as they are great pets! I especially like that picture of Fern with your copy of Ready Player One. She's a beautifull dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fluffy, really snuggly but we have to shave her every so often as It can get long.

      She loves to snuggle when I am reading, she loves to snuggle anytime!!

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about Max but it sounds like you really did work hard to look after him for as long as you could! I love your current pets as well - they look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness what a gorgeous girlie! I just love her ears. We've always had dogs here as well. I can't imagine not having them. It would be so quiet here (and clean! lol)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig