Monday, 31 August 2015

REVIEW - Confessions of a Texan in Tokyo by Grace Buchele Mineta

Title: Confessions of a Texan in Tokyo
Author: Grace Buchele Mineta
Publisher: Texan in Tokyo
Release Date: 21st June 2015
Source: Own Copy

It's not easy squeezing your life into a suitcase and hopping on a plane halfway across the world. 

Then again, the most meaningful things in life are never easy.

 In this hilarious comic book, Grace weaves fact and fiction - to create an authentic window into the life of an American living in Tokyo. 

Joined by her husband, Ryosuke, and their imaginary pet rabbit, Marvin, watch as this young couple tries to carve out a little slice of "home" deep in the concrete jungle of Tokyo, without going crazy.



I may have mentioned in the past that I am a little bit obsessed with Japan, those crazy clothes they wear (well not all of them), their cute food, those amazing vending machines and most of all it just looks like a beautiful country.

I love books about Japan, fact!

I especially love books about Japan with cartoons!

This book is great, having already read Grace's first two books I was excited to see book three on Amazon.

I love her style of writing and of course the comics that go with it are so cute. She talks about many things in this book such as the joys of learning Japanese, why the Japanese wear surgical masks and the art of gift wrapping, all of these done with great insight and humour.

Ryosuke, Grace's husband also gets in on the act this time with some cartoons of his own, they make such a cute couple and I love reading about their lives.

I especially just like reading about the huge difference in culture, It fascinates me and Grace does a great job of explaining it to us with the occasional aid of Marvin her (imaginary) rabbit - actually he does exist now, I have seen the picture!

If like me you love Japan, then you will love this!



Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

6 comments

  1. This book looks so cute! I always enjoy reading about other countries and cultures. I don't read a lot of comic books, but this one sounds like a lot of fun!

    If you love books abotu japan I would recommend SJ Pajonas her books, all her books have something with japan or japanese culture and it's very well done. It's obvious she did her research and knows where she is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I manage to pick up a free SJ Pajonas kindle book so I will have a look, thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  2. The only Japanese lit I've encountered is Manga. And it's been ages since I've read a comic book (I miss you Archie!), I like the premise of this one though. And yes, I love those Harijuko (sp?) girls, they take cosplay to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those outfits are crazy, I have a whole Pinterest board devoted to those wacky outfits!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig