Saturday, 29 August 2015

REVIEW - You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost) by Felicia Day

Title: You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost)
Author: Felicia Day
Publisher: Sphere
Release Date: 13th August 2015
Source: My copy from Amazon

The Internet isn't all cat videos. There's also Felicia Day - violinist, filmmaker, Internet entrepreneur, compulsive gamer and former lonely homeschooled girl who overcame her isolated childhood to become the ruler of a new world . . . or at least semi-influential in the world of Internet geeks and Goodreads book clubs.


After growing up in the south where she was 'homeschooled for hippie reasons', Felicia moved to Hollywood to pursue her dream of becoming an actress and was immediately typecast as a crazy cat-lady secretary. But Felicia's misadventures in Hollywood led her to produce her own web series, own her own production company and become an Internet star.


Felicia's short-ish life and her rags-to-riches rise to Internet fame launched her career as one of the most influential creators in new media. Now, Felicia's strange world is filled with thoughts on creativity, video games, and a dash of mild feminist activism - just like her memoir.

Hilarious and inspirational, You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) is proof that everyone should embrace what makes them different and be brave enough to share it with the world, because anything is possible now - even for a digital misfit.

I locked myself down for two hours and read this, my wifi could have gone down and I wouldn't have noticed, that is how good this book was!

I had this pre-ordered so was mega excited when it arrived a few weeks back and today I thought sod it, I'm having me time and having a read, and what a read it is.

You may know Felicia from Eureka (or A Town Called Eureka if like me you are on the right hand side of the Atlantic) or maybe from Supernatural if you managed to look past Sam and Dean, yes she was there or maybe you are part of her Vaginal Fantasy Goodreads group, no well maybe you watched The Guild?

She has done a lot and yet she is incredibly down to earth. I didn't get a hint of colonic irrigation's and weird diets anywhere in this book.  She just seems normal, fun, a little fragile and I think a little feisty too!

Her upbringing was far from normal, moving around a lot, a unique home school and college experience all shared in this book with wonderful humour and honesty.  She tells us about her failures and she tells us about her successes, and you know what once I had read this book I felt ready to take on the world.  Seriously I still feel quite worked up now, invincible almost, that how inspired I felt by her story.

As well as her upbringing, of course she goes on about her move from potential classical star (she is a violinist) to actress to her creation of online show The Guild. The one thing I loved was the timeline in the book that shows the evolution of the internet, yes there was a time before it existed, it reminded me of how far technology has came over the last few years and made me feel a tiny bit old!

She also talks about trolls and has included in the book some of the quite frankly awful things people say out there. Being a woman these days in a man dominated area is still apparently cause for us getting a slagging and be told to get back in the kitchen which I think, well I don't think I could type what I think here.

The one thing I will say if you are looking for a book in which Felicia talks at great length about being on Supernatural or Eureka then this is not it, she touches on her mainstream acting but this is a love story to the wonders of the world wide web and what you can do with great imagination and determination (and several thousand hours of World of Warcraft under your belt).

I loved this book and it has given me a greater look at Felicia and whole new respect for her, I already thought she was awesome but she is an inspiration and I don't mean that to sound clich├ęd but she should be put on the curriculum at school to give young people confidence to follow what they want in life. 

This book serves as reminder that if you keep at you will get there, you may fail at times but fuck it keep going, I love it!




Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig