Saturday, 12 September 2015

The A to Z of Dystopia #9 - I is for Intrigue


Hey! Welcome to week 9 of my A to Z of Dystopia!



If this is your first week I better tell what I am trying to do!

I am going to pick one subject from the Dystopian genre, it may be a person, it may be an event, it may be something useful, but it will relate to dystopian books that I have been inspired by.

So each week I shall ramble on and on and on, you can view what I have covered so far here.

Also this week a big thanks to Elizabeth at Thoughts of an Evil Overlord for giving me some inspiration on the letter I - I was stumped till she gave me some help!

This week I am taking on.....


When was the last time you read a dystopian novel where there wasn't some government with a hidden agenda, some aliens trying to throw their weight around or simply some friendly folks who actually really want to eat you.


Nope? Me neither!

There is always some intrigue going on, some hidden freaking agenda. Somebody who wants to rule the world or take over something or other.

Of course you can't exactly write a book where the end of the world happens and we all happily go about our business because nobody would read it.


Hold on though, would they?

Picture the scene, an asteroid has hit the planet, millions are dead.

A family happily survives in their underground bunker with ten years worth of prepped food and supplies. 

They are a secure family unit, no issues, no skeletons in the closet, they are as normal as they can be.

After a year they open the door, step outside, meet other survivors who are happy to see them.  

They find out the lovely government (who have no hidden agenda) are rebuilding everything and everyone lives happily ever after.

There is no blood, terror or anything bad happening.

Is it possible to have dystopia without the bad shit going down?

Is the whole point of dystopia that everything is hopeless and lost, can we have a post apoc future where things are actually ok?

What do you think?

Next week the letter J...




Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig