Wednesday, 2 September 2015

REVIEW - The Greenland Diaries by Patrick W Marsh

Title: The Greenland Diaries - Days 1 - 100
Author: Patrick W Marsh
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: Paperback 14/10/14
Source: Own Copy

."It began with a drum. Then the monsters came. I've been hiding ever since." 
The following collections of journals were recovered from a caravan outside of Duluth, Minnesota. The exact date of recovery is not known nor is the origin of the speaker. The Bureau for the Restoration of History (BFRH) would like help in identifying the man who kept these records. This unedited record of events is still considered the most accurate history of the apocalypse that occurred on April 15th, 2011




This book scared me s**tless, really it has been a long time since I read a book that had me worried about things that go bump in the night. However I read this book in a matter of hours, nothing else mattered, I had to finish it a find out what happens.

I'd better say, if you are not keen on horror, end of the world stuff well this may sway it for you, there is a cute dog in it, a Weiner dog! A little dachshund called Snowy, I'd read it for her alone!!

Anyway back to the horror.

Written literally as a diary of a survivor in an America that has been ravaged by unknown monsters. The diary is a graphic account of one man's fight for survival against the monsters, the monsters I can only describe really as super scary, homicidal versions of the dementors from Harry Potter.  They appear at night summoned by drums that help them march to their murderous beat.

These monsters are clever, they can find you, they know when things have changed and our survivor has one hell of a time hiding from them, they seem to keep finding him and he discovers that they use mirrors to find out where you are.

His life is one constant struggle, during the day he seeks food and drink, breaks mirrors,  sees less and less people and by night he hides away listening to the monsters outside killing the unlucky people who have ventured out and listening to them searching for him.

The world changes around him too, it becomes hot and humid, plants start to grow everywhere and they seem linked to these scary ass monsters.

How long can our narrator survive as he sees everything he knows crushed, eviscerated, you get the idea but despite this he has his dog and he could just give up but he doesn't, he wants to live. 

He may be the only person living in his area but living is what he wants to do but the monsters have other ideas, things get worse, they try and lure him out of his hiding place by creating projections of normal life. They have cars driving about, lights in windows, enough normality to pull any last survivors out of hiding.

The scariest thing about this book is definitely the monsters who are given the name - The Unnamed, they seem to just appear out of the shadows, they seem to be the perfect killing machines but unfortunately for our narrator it is not going to get any easier anytime soon. 

I heard scuffling outside my house when I read this and had kittens, it truly works at your mind and that is what makes this a great read.

The only downside, and I am not sure if this is deliberate as it is a diary written in haste, is that there is some grammatical and spelling errors but apart from that this is a stellar, scary book that will stay in your brain for days after. Especially if like me you went straight on to book 2! 




Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

8 comments

  1. Have you seen the movie I am Legend? This doesn't sound like a zombie book but it feels like that movie. I also love it when a pet turns into a character, that's always fun! That said, I love horror but I can't deal with end of the world plots, it's that part that scares me. Like I can put myself in that position and I get sweaty palms and get very nervous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it freaked me out, eurgh!! Mmmm maybe a little like that but the monsters aren't as full of body if that makes sense.

      I can't usually read full on horror but I don't seem to mind apocalyptic horror, as for horror films, well I can't want Halloween or the likes but give me something like Alien and I can happily watch that!

      Delete
  2. Sounds fantastic! I love the cover, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually notice at first but if you look at the black shadow it has eyes!

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good. I have never hear of it, but now I will be looking for it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary as heck but it is a great read!

      Delete
  4. Just the synopsis made me shiver, and your review has me excited. I wanna be scared sh*tless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this book makes me think about Slenderman, especially when you're playing the game and trying to collect the notebook pages to try and escape. It's the same sense of horror, which you can't seem to escape. Truly terrifying!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig