Sunday, 13 September 2015

REVIEW - Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

Title: Furiously Happy
Author: Jenny Lawson
Publisher: Picador
Release Date: 24th September 2015
Source: ARC 

For fans of David Sedaris, Tina Fey and Caitlin Moran comes the new book from Jenny Lawson, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Let's Pretend This Never Happened... 


In Let's Pretend This Never Happened, Jenny Lawson regaled readers with uproarious stories of her bizarre childhood. In her new book, Furiously Happy, she explores her lifelong battle with mental illness. 

A hysterical, ridiculous book about crippling depression and anxiety? That sounds like a terrible idea. And terrible ideas are what Jenny does best. As Jenny says: 'You can't experience pain without also experiencing the baffling and ridiculous moments of being fiercely, unapologetically, intensely and (above all) furiously happy.' 

It's a philosophy that has - quite literally - saved her life. Jenny's first book, Let's Pretend This Never Happened, was ostensibly about family, but deep down it was about celebrating your own weirdness. 

Furiously Happy is a book about mental illness, but under the surface it's about embracing joy in fantastic and outrageous ways. And who doesn't need a bit more of that?




My goodness where the fudge do I start with this one?  

Well, I could start by talking about THAT cover, I love raccoons but a stuffed one with a mental grin on its face, what could be cuter? crazier? awesome? I don't know possibly two stuffed raccoons - yes Jenny Lawson owns two of the cuties, I love her already.

This book is a light-hearted, humourous look at mental illness, to be honest, that is not something you usually see in a sentence is it?  Jenny has written a book that is pee yourself funny, as someone who personally is on anti-depressants and has first hand experience of my own crazy brains ups and downs to read about Jenny's own experience in her unique (crazy) way was just immense.

Of course this book does tackle some difficult subjects, Jenny as well as having Rheumatoid Arthritis, high functioning depression with severe anxiety also has self-harm issues which some readers may find difficult to read about.  But she is honest and she manages to make is humourous, she started the #FuriouslyHappy movement, fed up with being sad she decided to become FURIOUSLY HAPPY!!

Furiously happy involves many things mainly ridiculous, you could dress up as a clown and skydive, milk a cow dressed as a cow, Jenny's mantra is decorum is overrated, but all this craziness is not a cure to depression.  

Jenny has many dark times, she literally locks herself away from the world, hiding under tables but when she feels better she takes life by the balls and goes mad.  She visits Australia and meets a kangaroo dressed as a kangaroo, she embraces taxidermy and considers laminating cats.

Each chapter has a wonderful title such "Voodoo Vagina", George Washington's Dildo and my own favourite "Crazy like a reverse fox"! 

This is not a book that makes out that having depression is something that you can easily get over, Jenny tells us about her ups and her considerable amount of downs, and you know what I such amazing respect for her.  She is a mother and wife (her husband sounds an angel) and the fact she has so much shit to deal with mental and health wise the fact that she can laugh about it is amazing.

From a personal point of view it is really something I try and embrace, yes there are periods when I get crazy down but when its good its good, not that I have sky dived or dressed up as a cow yet - I did once dress up as Lady Gaga but that's another story.

I loved this, it made me laugh and when a fucking, what can only be described a tarantula, stomped by me on my bed whilst I was reading this, I was suitably chilled to only scream loud enough to wake my husband not my kids.

Go forth and be #furiouslyhappy!

Thanks to Picador for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.




Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

14 comments

  1. I own a big round stuffed raccoon and it's so cute and fluffy. From that cover I wouldn't have thought it would be about mental illness. A humorous, lighthearted book about mental illness, wow I wonder how the author managed that. That's quite an achievement to make such a heavy topic fun and light. I might have to check this out as it sounds like a good book and having dealt/ dealing with some mental issues myself it's always interesting to read how others deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't would you, I didn't know until I read the synopsis buy my goodness this is an amazing book, a definite must read.

      Delete
  2. I do love that cover. It seems like the little line "A funny book about horrible things" from the cover sums it up huh? Her story does sound interesting though and I love a funny book even if it is serious topics covered - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She writes an amazing book, I was blown away.

      Delete
  3. For me, that cover is creepy! sorry. But your effusive review makes me want to go get this one. I've been reading some humor essays, but this puts a deeper spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it but I appreciate a dead stuffed raccoon is not to everyone's taste!!!!

      This is an exceptional read, I loved it!

      Delete
  4. Awww poo, I should have requested this when it was on Netgalley, but the cover turned me off. Maybe the library has it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover!!! Fingers crossed you get a copy!!

      Delete
  5. It's true, it isn't often that you see the terms happy and light hearted when dealing with mental illness. I like the way the author is managing such tough subjects and bringing her message home - and yet does it in such a way that she doesn't want the reader to feel sad or pitying about it. Love the cover and the message. Great review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She really does an amazing job of making depression in to a funny book, it really is great!

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of being "furiously happy." And how can you resist that cover – so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is adorable and I really want one!!!

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is fabulous! I have this book, from BEA, which I fully admit to taking just because of the cover. Now I wish I'd read this before Shattering Stigmas, it sounds perfect! I love that she weaves the funny in with the serious, because I think it means that more people will be willing to read about a super important topic. So glad you loved this, I must read it ASAP! Fabulous review :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must Shannon, it is a wonderful book about a difficult subject told with humour and honesty (and taxidermy!)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig