Tuesday, 8 September 2015

REVIEW - The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Title: The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet
Author: Becky Chambers
Publisher: Hodder
Release Date: 13th August 2015
Source: ARC 


When Rosemary Harper joins the crew of the Wayfarer, she isn't expecting much. The Wayfarer, a patched-up ship that's seen better days, offers her everything she could possibly want: a small, quiet spot to call home for a while, adventure in far-off corners of the galaxy, and distance from her troubled past.

But Rosemary gets more than she bargained for with the Wayfarer. The crew is a mishmash of species and personalities, from Sissix, the friendly reptillian pilot, to Kizzy and Jenks, the constantly sparring engineers who keep the ship running. Life on board is chaotic, but more or less peaceful - exactly what Rosemary wants.


Until the crew are offered the job of a lifetime: the chance to build a hyperspace tunnel to a distant planet. They'll earn enough money to live comfortably for years... if they survive the long trip through war-torn interstellar space without endangering any of the fragile alliances that keep the galaxy peaceful.


But Rosemary isn't the only person on board with secrets to hide, and the crew will soon discover that space may be vast, but spaceships are very small indeed.



This was EPIC!! I hate to go all OMG on you but I loved this book, it was sooooooo good. Ok now I better stop squealing, you get the idea that I liked this.

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is told mainly but not exclusively from the point of view of Rosemary Harper, a young woman escaping her home planet of Mars to join the crew of the Wayfarer, a tunnelling ship travelling the length and breadth of the galaxy or should I say galaxies.

Rosemary is joining the crew as a clerk, the crew is already very well established and features a wealth of characters. 

Captain Ashby is very much human but was born in space not on a planet, Three more humans in the forms of Kizzy and Jenks, the ship techs and Corbin the far too serious algaeist (the ship's fuel is made from this). The ship is completed with some different species in the form of the awesome Sissix , the pilot who is a beautiful reptile-esque lady, Dr Chef, a cook and doctor with quite a lot of hands and Ohan who is, well he/they is/are special, you'll need to read about him/them!

I had also better not forget Lovelace aka Lovey the ship's AI, she has a wonderful personality and is the pet project of Jenks, and when I say pet project I mean love interest! Lovey is a wonderful character and is not crazy like a certain AI from 2001.

The book follows our intrepid travellers as they work punching tunnels through the fabric of space to create routes to other planets and places in the galaxy, it is dangerous work but it is well paid. Ashby gets offered a job he can't refuse and the crew start to make their way to their new area of work.

Now this may not sound like thrills and spills but that is not what this book is about, if follows the lives of the crew, each of them has something that they are keeping to themselves especially Rosemary who has literally taken on a new persona to get to the Wayfarer. It really is a bit like a super cool space soap opera.

Every member of the crew has their rightful place in this book, none of the characters are supporting, they each have a lot to say and you find out a lot about each and everyone of them. It really reminds me a lot of Firefly and the crew of Serenity, I mean that of course as a major compliment.  

The actual worlds that they visit too range from barren planets with killer bugs to dirty space ports, all of them tackled with glee and excitement. 

It isn't all fun and games, the crew have serious work to do with the creation of a new tunnel to the small angry planet of the title but things, let me say, do not go to plan.

This isn't one of these books where instantly people are running for their lives or things are getting blown up, it is a book about "everyday" people, their lives, loves and secrets and they just happen to live in a patched together space ship.

I loved it, you should definitely read it!

Thank you to Hodder & Stoughton for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.




Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

10 comments

  1. For the life of me, I can't get into sci=fi books like this! It sounds good though, and I can tell how much you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fab but yes book like this aren't for everyone, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this sounds awesome. I love a good space opera, but I'm pretty picky with sci fi and might not have tried this- if I hadn't seen this review. I will definitely pick this one up based on your thoughts. It sounds like a lot of fun, a bunch of people with secrets on a spaceship- sign me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just brilliant, I loved it and the fact it reminded me a little of Firefly also helped!

      Delete
  3. Great review, Heather. I'm so happy you loved it so much. And thanks for sharing as I hadn't heard of it before. I just adore the title. haha It sounds great for a fan of Doctor Who. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally perfect for Whovians, the different species and humour should appeal!

      Delete
  4. I don't think I have heard of this book before, but it just sounds SO COOL. I am recently getting into sci-fi a lot... the heavier kind and the YA kind. I wouldn't have guessed this would be one from the title but it sounds like it is the main genre in the book. So glad this is wonderful <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly wonderful, this cover is gorgeous too so better than the other cover I saw for it. Sci-fi can be really heavy but this just breezes along with so much energy! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig