Thursday, 22 October 2015

REVIEW - Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux

image, madeleine roux, allison hewitt is trapped, zombies

Title: Allison Hewitt is Trapped

Author: Madeleine Roux

Publisher: Headline

Release Date: 24th November 2011

Source: Own Copy

Allison Hewitt is trapped. In the storeroom of Brookes & Peabody's. In a world swarming with the Undead, the Doomed, the Infected.

Locked away with an oddball collection of colleagues and under siege, Allison takes advantage of a surviving internet connection and blogs. She writes, as the food runs out and panic sets in, as relationships develop and friends die, and as zombies claw at the door, all in the hope of connecting with other survivors out there. 



But as she reads the replies to her posts, Allison begins to comprehend the horrifying scale of the damage. And when no one comes to the group's rescue, they are forced to leave the safety of their room and risk a journey across the city; streets that crawl with zombies, and worse - fellow humans competing for survival.

As a blogger, I presume that if the world ended my blog would go bye-bye but Allison Hewitt, the kick ass, axe weilding heroine of this novel shows that not only can you survive a zombie apocalypse you can also maintain your blog presence and get new readers too, awesome!

Seriously though, this is a "bloody" great book, Allison works in a book store and when the dead start kicking off and picking off people, she holes up behind a great big thick door with some of her colleagues.  

Nothing tests a work friendship more than being stuck together with limited food and toilet facilities, oh and clashing personalities, thankfully Allison seems to be the most level headed out of her colleagues.  She keeps going and she keeps a record on her blog, documenting each day and event, and in the process keeping in touch with fellow survivors.  

The comments coming in from fellow survivors paint a bleak picture and the more she reads, the more she realises they can't stay in the bookshop.  The story follows Allison and her friends as they try and survive, as they find shelter and provisions, as they try and avoid the zombies all around but of course there are much worse things out there than zombies - other people.

Other people are a bunch of shits, some are good but a lot are just plain crazy and Allison meets her fair share.  To be honest though I think I would be more worried about my ass than my laptop but communication is the key to survival in this story and on each post you not only get a view of what Allison goes through you get to see how others are fairing via her comments.

 I forgot to mention she picks up a dog on her travels too which I love and hate because I worry about the dog, will it survive, will it turn in to a zombdog....you get the idea, dogs in any books are a bad idea for me as it will make me flick to the end to make sure the dog is still alive.  I mean I have seen Independence Day more times than I would care to admit and I still get tears in my eyes every time that dog jumps from the car with the fire ball behind him....anyway I digress.

This is a great addition to your zombie bookshelf, yes it has the usual blood and gore, but it also has humour, real issues like going to the loo when zombies are about, well written characters with personalities that come to life on the pages and it has a decent story with characters you can actually care about.  Well worth a read!



Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings

Share:

24 comments

  1. I'm in. I need tips from Alison and I think she'll be my new hero after reading this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison is awesome and totally my hero!

      Delete
  2. I had heard a lot of poor reviews on this book but I really enjoyed it when I read it. There was plenty action, ever changing tense situations and a good mix of characters. I have Sadie Walker is Stranded, but haven't read it yet. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, it was a great read and I've got Sadie too, it took me over a year to get round to reading Allison so maybe I'll have Sadie done by the end of the year!

      Delete
  3. Going to the loo with zombies all around, I would hate that, lol ! I've never heard of a zombie apocalypse with the internet surviving before - I guess it's us bloggers' dream come true :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A total dream come true, blogging the end of the world!!!

      Delete
  4. o.o well that def different i think I only recently saw someone else post this book up. Zombiedog...teehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fun, and yes blogging rules in a zombie world. I will add this to my list. Since you liked this check out Mira Grant's Newsflesh Trilogy..it features bloggers in a zombie apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard things about Newsflesh, will check it out!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like such a fun book! I would probably be in the same boat as you — survival > blog. But it's also cool to see how someone in a zombie apocalypse would document their time while on the run too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very cool but I think my priorities would be a little different!!

      Delete
  7. Zombdog!! Too funny. I get weird with pets in movies and books too. I never want anything bad to happen to them. Love that she had a blog - and that she kept up with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get so weird with them too, as a dog owner it always makes me nervous when a pet appears!

      Delete
  8. That's great Allison keeps blogging durign the zombie apocalypse, that sounds like it woddl make for a great plot. And I like how this one sounds original how the focus is on communication and how she uses her blog. I am not a fan of zombie books, but this one does sound good. I would totally worry about the dog too, I don't think I could handle reading a book where they turn the dog into the a zombie. I hope the dog survived. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did survive, thankfully, I would have been heartbroken if it had been otherwise!!

      Delete
  9. I am so not a zombie fan but I love the sound of the humor the author has put in here and there (or is that more the reviewer?) And kudos to her for not ignoring the realities (like going to the loo) - that irks me in some books, it's like the hero and or heroine are in a nonstop race for their lives for hours or even days and no one has to go?! Anyway, good review, because you almost tempt me to read this despite my normal tendency to avoid all zombie books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they seem to forget real world problems like going to the loo or lady problems!! Whats up with that!!

      Delete
  10. I love the sound of this concept, Heather. She has a blog! Love it! It sounds like it was a ton of fun to read too. I would especially enjoy all the clashing personalities. :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig