Wednesday, 7 October 2015

REVIEW - Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh

Title: Hyperbole and a Half

Author: Allie Brosh

Publisher: Square Peg

Release Date: 31st October 2013

Source: Own Copy

Hyperbole and A Half is a blog written by a 20-something American girl called Allie Brosh. She tells fantastically funny, wise stories about the mishaps of her everyday life, with titles like 'Why Dogs Don't Understand Basic Concepts Like Moving' and 'The God of Cake'. She accompanies these with naive drawings using Paint on her PC. 

Brosh’s website receives millions of visitors a month and hundreds of thousands of per day.
Now her full-colour debut book chronicles the many “learning experiences” Brosh has endured as a result of her own character flaws. It includes stories about her rambunctious childhood; the highs and mostly lows of owning a mentally challenged dog; and a moving and darkly comic account of her struggles with depression.

Poignant and uproarious - think Cyanide and Happiness but with story-lines, cake and dogs.


So after reading the fabulous Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson I was perusing her website and on her blog roll she listed the website Hyperbole and a Half.  Intrigued by the name I found myself on the site looking at a cute drawing of a girl with what looked like a unicorns horn on her head.

It had me hooked at unicorn.

I discovered that Hyperbole and Half was the creation of Allie Brosh and the cute drawings are created using good old Paint on her computer.  The drawings she has created are reasonably childish looking but literally every picture oozes with humour, her comic alter ego has hundreds of facial expressions, my favourite would probably be this one..

(c) Hyperbole and a Half

Anyway needless to say I found myself on Amazon looking to see if there was any Hyperbole related goodies, hell yes there was and a couple of clicks later I became the proud owner of this book.

Basically the book takes best bits from the blog along with some new stories and mashes them together to create a fricking brilliant book/comic/funny riotous read.

First of all the book looks good, it is page after page of colourful comic and secondly those comics are accompanied by the wonderfully witty prose of Allie Brosh as she tells us about her childhood, her love of dogs and more stories about dogs, she does love dogs, really loves dogs.

Her two dogs Simple dog and Helper dog feature prominently throughout, they are adorable and as I read about them I totally pictured my furry fuzzball doing the same things.

Simple Dog (c) Hyperbole and a Half
But as well as being hysterically pee yourself funny, Allie also touches on her dealings with depression but she does it with the aid of her brilliant comics that make a not so pleasant subject a bit easier to deal with.

This is just a great book, it is colourful, funny, full of dogs, crazy facial expressions, bad language and killer geese. It is by no means highly polished but it totally hits the spot.  Did I also mention how big it is, it is like 300 plus pages. I freaking love it!

If you are need of a good laugh then this will definitely hit the spot!




Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

12 comments

  1. I love a funny book. This sounds great - plus cool drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hyperbole and a Half sounds great, Heather! Good laughs are always great, and I love reading and laughing at the same time :)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahaha I have seen this one around and I am looking forward to trying it out myself! I love the sound of it being such a humorous and fun read, and I like the sound of the author having done the images herself on paint one day! Love it all <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pics are so rough but so artistic at the same time, just brilliant!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fun one and I think the simply paint drawings do give off a certain feel or style. It sounds interesting how this book deals with darker topics like depression in a light hearted way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she talks about depression but the pictures that go with it, well you cant help but laugh.

      Delete
  5. I've seen some of the cartoons on Facebook but didn't know there was a website or a book! Sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know either until I came across the website, glad I did!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig