Thursday, 1 October 2015

REVIEW - Pompidou Posse by Sarah Lotz


Title: Pompidou Posse

Author: Sarah Lotz

Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton

Release Date: 10th September 2015

Source: Copy Publisher
Paris is eternal. Art is love. Friendship is forever. Except when it isn't.

You're seventeen. One night, more or less by accident, you set fire to a garden shed.
Naturally, you pack up and run off to Paris, certain you can make enough money off your art to get by. You're young, you're talented, you're full of life, and you have your best friend in all the world by your side.

What could possibly go wrong?

Sarah Lotz's hilarious, heartbreaking first novel has only ever been published in South Africa. Now Hodder & Stoughton are proud to be bringing it to a world-wide audience, newly edited and with an all-new cover.


Pompidou Posse or as I like to call it "Oh my god I am never letting my daughters out of the house ever" is a riot, like a total crazy riot.

I love it, well as long as I don't think about my kids leaving the house and going to Paris, ever!

This book is written by Sarah Lotz whose previous work, The Three and Day Four blew my mind, this book is nothing like those books, originally published in South Africa, Hodder and Stoughton have resurrected it and brought it to a new audience.

Sage and Vicki have headed to Paris from England, it is the eighties and some of us of a certain age will remember the fashion, the interesting music, Sony Walkmans and the crazy amount of batteries they used......

They are in their late teens, they are irresponsible and they are determined to make a living in Paris as artists, could it be that easy?? Well they meet a "nice" man called Bobby who knows people who know people and he is going to sort them out.

He gets them sorted with a place to stay and they begin live life like crazy.  They hang out with stoners, perverts and god knows who else but the one thing that makes this such a good story is the girl's friendship.

Sage and Vicki are the best of friends and this is the ultimate test of their friendship as they survive crazy Parisians, sleeping rough and lack of basic hygiene.

The girls are incredibly naive but you can't help rooting for them as they make one mistake after another.   

Sarah Lotz has said that one of the characters may be based on her as she did a lot of drugs when she was a teenager and with Pompidou Posse she weaves an incredible, do I call it a coming of age story? I don't know but it is a great story.

Full of wit, lack of wisdom (and money), the girls take Paris by the balls and give the town all they've got but OMG I am never letting my kids leave home ever.

Thanks to Hodder and Stoughton for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review



Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig