Wednesday, 25 November 2015

SCI-FI MONTH - Review - Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey

Title: Beacon 23

Author: Hugh Howey

Publisher: Createspace

Release Date: 12th August 2015

Source: Own Copy

For centuries, men and women have manned lighthouses to ensure the safe passage of ships. 

It is a lonely job, and a thankless one for the most part. Until something goes wrong. Until a ship is in distress. 

In the 23rd century, this job has moved into outer space. A network of beacons allows ships to travel across the Milky Way at many times the speed of light. These beacons are built to be robust. 

They never break down. 

They never fail. 

At least, they aren't supposed to.

The job of a lighthouse keeper is a lonely one, day after day with only the sea for company, keeping the light lit to make sure ships have safe passage.

It isn't a job that I would want to do, Beacon 23 takes the job of the lighthouse keeper and places them in an even worse environment, deep space.

Now the thing I love about Hugh Howey's work is the fact he can take the most claustrophobic, inhospitable space and turn it in to somewhere I'd like to go, yes that is right I have an inkling to visit those silos from Wool and after reading Beacon 23, I want to visit the beacons.

Our keeper is ex-military, stationed in the deepest part of the galaxy making sure those spaceships don't come a cropper, he is all alone with only the occasional traveller darkening his door.

His job is to maintain the light and make sure it stays lit, of course very early in the book the light goes on the blink and this is when the story really begins.

Our keeper has to deal with the aftermath of what happens when the light goes out and the guilt that comes with it, being all alone he experiences a lot of emotions including a memorable moment with a talking inanimate object, is he losing his mind?

Maybe he needs some company? Before long he has more company than he needs, is his space getting too crowded?  Does he maybe need to get back to Earth?

Atmospheric, beautifully imagined, great characters, an intriguing story plus a touch of humour, everything I have came to expect from Hugh Howey.

Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings

Share:

13 comments

  1. Heather this is new to me and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved most of Howeys stuff so naturally was interested in this. I have the 1st part as part of one of his twin pack novellas. Glad to hear its up to his usual high standard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, I love his work too and I just love his imagination!

      Delete
    2. Have you tried Shell Collectors yet. Its on my shelf waiting

      Delete
    3. Have you tried Shell Collectors yet. Its on my shelf a little while

      Delete
    4. Yep, I read it earlier this year, was a stunning read too!

      Delete
  3. wow, this sounds quite intense but really good. Books set in space sometimes freak me out, so I don't know if this one would or not...I'm curious though!

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space doesn't bother me but then I am happily on the ground!! It didn't feel claustrophobic at all.

      Delete
  4. I didn't really enjoy Wool as much as some people, but this concept sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Wool, something about it just clicked with me. Beacon 23 is a great story and worth a peek!

      Delete
  5. I have heard of this one but hadn't seen a review of it before. It does sound like a promising read after all and something that I might even want to pick up myself! It takes a talented writer to make a small space seem pretty cool and like something that might want to be visited as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugh Howey is definitely talented, I haven't read a bad book of his yet!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig