Saturday, 13 February 2016

REVIEW - Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Title: Cinder 

Author: Marissa Meyer

Publisher: Puffin

Release Date: 5th January 2012

Source: Own Copy


A forbidden romance.


A deadly plague.



Earth's fate hinges on one girl . . .


CINDER, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She's reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation.


Cinder is caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal. Now she must uncover secrets about her mysterious past in order to protect Earth's future.

This is not the fairytale you remember. But it's one you won't forget

So it looks like I may be the last person on the planet to read this book, better late than never.....

Cinder has been popping up on my recommendation lists for a few years now but I chose to ignore it, of course now that I have read it I do feel like a total tit as it is quite frankly worth ever word of hype that has been written about it.

I would imagine the majority of you who read this review will have read this book and probably the books that follow in Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles but humour me whilst I give a general recap for the other person in deepest Siberia who is still waiting on their Amazon parcel to get there.

Cinder is cyborg who has the most amazing mechanical skills, she can fix most problems that are given to her.  She lives in New Beijing (yup it is set in the future) with her stepmother and two stepsisters.  Her stepmother resents having to look after her but one of her stepsisters is as to close a real sister as she could possibly have, which is good because evil step mum is not the caring type.

She seems quite a tough cookie but Cinder is also a little vulnerable in my eyes, especially when it comes to the handsome Prince Kai who brings a job to Cinder, hearing of her wonderful fix it skills, he is easy on the eyes and he is quite forward in expressing his interest in Cinder but of course a cyborg and a Prince cannot be together.

The book looks at Cinder as she deals with having to deal with being an outcast and how she copes when someone she loves very much becomes victim to a plague which is spreading throughout the residents of New Beijing, a plague that does not leave survivors.

Cinder finds herself involved in medical testing to help save the plague carriers but whilst in the medical facility she finds out a lot more than she bargained for, information that could change her world totally and it starts with a visit from a evil queen from our distant moon.

So yeah I have probably done a crap job doing a recap but there is lots going on in this book and I freaking love it.  It ticks all my boxes.

Dystopian, Yes!
Romance, Yes!
Evil Plot, Yes!
More books to come, Yes!
Great sidekick, Yes!
Huge world to explore, Yes!
Nice shoes, Yes!
Different, Yes!! 

It is the Terminator meets Cinderella with a bit of Blade Runner, some Mean Girls or Clueless (depending on your age) all wrapped up with a red bow plus I am led to believe the next book Scarlet is even better!

When a book is hyped to death it can be a kiss of death, it could be awful but this isn't, I mean just look up #Bookstagram on Instagram and a shed loads of those pics will include this series.  The love for this series is incredible and I am glad to spread my love now for it too!

Loved it! Love, love, loved it!!



Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings

Share:

2 comments

  1. I know, the hype for this book and series is intense. And I only contribute to it because of how much they all deserve it! This series is frankly brilliant. I love how Cinder is so strong and yet does have vulnerable points as well. Hope you enjoy book two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Scarlet!! I have been told it only gets better!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig