Tuesday, 9 February 2016

REVIEW - What If? by Randall Munroe


Title: What If?

Author: Randall Munroe

Publisher: John Murrays

Release Date: 24th September 2015

Source: Own Copy

From the creator of the wildly popular xkcd.com, hilarious and informative answers to important questions you probably never thought to ask.



Millions visit xkcd.com each week to read Randall Munroe's iconic webcomic. Fans ask him a lot of strange questions: How fast can you hit a speed bump, driving, and live? When (if ever) did the sun go down on the British Empire? When will Facebook contain more profiles of dead people than living? How many humans would a T Rex rampaging through New York need to eat a day?

In pursuit of answers, Munroe runs computer simulations, pores over stacks of declassified military research memos, solves differential equations and consults nuclear reactor operators. His responses are masterpieces of clarity and hilarity, complemented by comics. They often predict the complete annihilation of humankind, or at least a really big explosion

So have you ever asked yourself the following questions?
  • How long could I safely swim in a pool of spent nuclear rods?
  • How much space does the internet take up?
  • Could you build a periodic table?
  • What would happen if your DNA vanished?
  • What if everyone in Britain started paddling on the coast, could we move?
What do you mean "no"?

To be honest I don't think I have ever thought about any of these either but there are some crazy people out there and Randall Munroe, once he stopped laughing (some of these questions are a little bonkers!!) uses this book to patiently reply using science fact and stick men.

This is an enjoyable read with quirky cartoons and you know what?, I actually felt like I learnt something too! Which is always a plus in my book.

Randall literally takes these crazy questions, breaks them down and explains the science stuff behind them whilst using not too technical a language for us non science types!

Plus the best part? There is a dinosaur chasing a stick man on the cover, that in itself is a reason to buy it!



Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings

Share:

12 comments

  1. I enjoyed this one too! I have to say that is such a cool cover compared to the one I had!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I have never asked myself those questions, but now I do want to know the answers! And replies using stick man and science, that sounds fun! And it's nice it doesn't get too technical so everyone can follow and understand the answers. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick men are the best, it was really cute and crazy inside!

      Delete
  3. This book looks fun! Thanks for reviewing it. This would make a good gift for my know-it-all kid, so she really can know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect for a know it all, thats why I bought it for myself!!!

      Delete
  4. I grabbed this when it was a daily deal, but haven't got to it yet. It sounds so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting story indeed! Those questions are crazy, I honestly don't know how to answer them. I might need a day or a decade to come up with a decent intelligent response...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a decade would be good for me, several decades possibly!

      Delete
  6. I never thought about those questions either! But it sounds like this is one funny book which makes you consider everything :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, some of the questions that the author chose not to answer are crazy!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig