Wednesday, 30 March 2016

REVIEW - Golden Son by Pierce Brown


Title: Golden Son

Author: Pierce Brown

Publisher: Hodder

Release Date: 7th January 2015

Source: Hodder 

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY NPR, BUZZFEED, AND BOOKLIST • With shades of The Hunger Games, Ender’s Game, and Game of Thrones, debut author Pierce Brown’s genre-defying epic Red Rising hit the ground running and wasted no time becoming a sensation. Golden Son continues the stunning saga of Darrow, a rebel forged by tragedy, battling to lead his oppressed people to freedom.

As a Red, Darrow grew up working the mines deep beneath the surface of Mars, enduring backbreaking labor while dreaming of the better future he was building for his descendants. But the Society he faithfully served was built on lies. Darrow’s kind have been betrayed and denied by their elitist masters, the Golds—and their only path to liberation is revolution. And so Darrow sacrifices himself in the name of the greater good for which Eo, his true love and inspiration, laid down her own life. He becomes a Gold, infiltrating their privileged realm so that he can destroy it from within.

A lamb among wolves in a cruel world, Darrow finds friendship, respect, and even love—but also the wrath of powerful rivals. To wage and win the war that will change humankind’s destiny, Darrow must confront the treachery arrayed against him, overcome his all-too-human desire for retribution—and strive not for violent revolt but a hopeful rebirth. Though the road ahead is fraught with danger and deceit, Darrow must choose to follow Eo’s principles of love and justice to free his people.

He must live for more.

So if I am writing this then that means I am finally reading Morning Star which is both great and sad at the same time, great because I have been waiting impatiently to finish this series and sad because I want the story to go and on.

When I bought my first copy of the Lord of the Rings several years *cough* ok, fine twenty three (shit I am old, I was very young when I bought it!) years ago, there was a note on the back cover saying the world was split in to two groups, those who had read the Lord of the Rings and those who wanted to read it.  I get a similar vibe about the Red Rising series, my blog friends have either read the books and loved them or are excitedly waiting to read the series.  I haven't met anyone yet who does not want to read this.

These books are that good, end of. Read these books.

But of course that doesn't make much of a review so let me now talk about "feels!.  

As a 37 year old mum of two, I feel a bit of a fraud talking about "feels" but Golden Son has them by the bucket load.  The first smack of feels occurred for me when Darrow found out what his beloved Eo's last words were. Holy crap, if you are pre-menstrual or naturally weepy grab a box of tissues, oh and don't wear mascara whilst reading either unless it is very waterproof.  Other feels include anger, fear, amazement, warm fuzzies, sadness....the list goes on.

Anyway I am majorly digressing, Darrow is well up the pecking order within the upper echelons of the golden ranks, he has been carved in to an Adonis and he is proving to be an incredible leader and warrior, a man not to be messed with.  He has earned the loyalty and friendship of some powerful golds and made enemies of many, many more.

His mission to bring down the elite golds is far from over, Golden Son has....ok how do I do this without plot spoilers, ok how about subtle plot nudges??

Golden Son has Gold against Gold  along with lots of betrayal, some romance, family feuds internal and external, big space fights, visits to the moon and some revelations that will rock your world and make you release a big WTF? from your lips.  The ending, well put it this way make sure you have Morning Star ready to go straight away, that is all I will say and maybe some more tissues for those "feels".

Pierce Brown has shown he has a freaking awesome talent at creating the colourful world that Darrow lives in and of course he has created characters that even though they are the "bad guys" are extremely likeable such as the awesome Sevro plus I do have a soft spot for Fitchner too.

Ok, I have run out of gush, please read this, you will love it.

Thank you to Hodder who kindly sent me a copy in exchange for an honest review





Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:




Delivered by FeedBurner
Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings

Share:

18 comments

  1. Yes!! I'm so happy you loved Golden Son so much, Heather! And I hope you'll enjoy Morning Star as well :) There is just so much going on with this series, right? And the writing makes you feel as if you're on Mars next to Darrow, fighting with him, loving him, and being loyal to him :)
    I can't wait to see what you think of the last in the trilogy.
    Loved your gushing review ;)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an almost 50 something Mum..and I had the feels too. Lord wait till Morning Star. Did you know there will be another series with characters from these stories set in the time after Morning Star? I am so excited!!! I really think these are books for any age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for whatever he comes up with, he is a great talent.

      Delete
  3. You are right! Every blogger I know has either read these books, is reading these books, or wants to read these books. I am the last description, still! I have continued to be successful in keeping July and August basically free of ARCs, so there is almost a 100% chance that I will get these read this summer. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read them during the summer, they really are fantastic books!

      Delete
  4. I am part of the group who is excited to start this series! I seriously have heard nothing but great things and so happy to see you loved the second one! Can't wait to see what you think of Morning Star!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's quite the praise. I have heard so much about these, and yeah I don't think I've seen one bad review yet. It doesn't sound like a premise that would grab me but after all these reviews I may have to get on the stick with these. :) And likeable bad guys are always good. Nice review Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, I didn't gush too much!

      Delete
  6. I love how much you're into this series. I didn't like Golden Son as much as Red Rising, but I thought it was good. Mostly I was frustrated by Darrow. I can't wait to read your review for Morning Son. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha you cracked me up with the pre-menstrual, the naturally weepy and the mascara! I AM HELPLESSLY IN LOVE with this series! I couldn't not agree more with you about Pierce's talent! Great review Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely review, Heather:) - I love your humour. I'm also delighted that you enjoyed the book so much. The trilogy is an amazing experience - such a roller-coaster ride and I was very glad that I read them close together. Himself was also chortling at the April Fool you found - but is a tad sad he cannot actually drive the wibbly way over the bridge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wibbly bridge would have been brilliant!

      Delete
  9. YES! This review is everything I should have said in mine. Those last words *sobs*. I am still not over it. I am so dragging my feet on reading Morning Star. I don't think I am ready to be done with Darrow.

    I heard a rumor it was being made into a movie. I fear what people will do with the characters. What of they cast the wrong person to play Darrow? Everyone will see the movie and talk about it but they won't understand Darrow the way we do. Okay, so maybe I am jumping the gun on my anxiety for a moment. It's just a rumor, right?

    Great review Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last words were just uh so upsetting. I am still reading Morning Star, a chapter or two a week, it can't end!!

      It is probably not a rumour, you know what Hollywood is like!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig