Saturday, 5 March 2016

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE - AKA a meteor exploded over my house!!


Yes I know technically I am on a blogging break but I had to mention the big news from my neck of the woods which freaked me out this week.

As my picture implies it came from outer space but it wasn't little green men it was this, cue the music from Armageddon.....



Well this pic is a slight exaggeration but this video will show what we did see...



and more scarily this...


Of course I was facing the wrong way when it happened but my eldest daughter wasn't and she told me she saw a flash which I first of all put down to being a plane but then the other half phoned and asked if I saw the sky light up, he was driving home and the whole sky flashed with light.  

We dismissed it as lightning but as I got off the phone my house shook.....the Internet was abuzz with what the hell it was!


Aliens, secret military stuff plus the usual doomsday stuff!

Sky News said the following.....

A meteor shower has been caught on camera streaking through the sky over Scotland.
Police received a large number of calls on Monday evening - with many people reporting that the sky had been lit up by a "fireball".
A spokeswoman for Police Scotland added: "Another caller said there was a very loud bang and others said the house shook.
"We have checked and been told it was likely to be a meteor shower."
Several people were able to see it burn up in the atmosphere above Perthshire.
Jenni Morrison was driving home from work on the A944 from Westhill to Alford, Aberdeenshire, at 6.45pm when she spotted the fireball light up the sky.
Speaking to Sky News she said: "I thought what the hell was that! My son said it was a meteorite.
"It was like a light switch going on and off. Very surreal moment.
"I knew it wasn't lightning and it was kind of scary and amazing at the same time."
Twitter was abuzz with speculation as to what the bright white streak could have been.
Some suggested it was an astronomical event, others thought military activity caused the display, and there was also a far-fetched theory that British astronaut Tim Peake could have been involved.
Steve Thomson tweeted: "Big white flash and some sort of meteor in the night sky. Looked really close as well. #endoftheworld #armageddon."
The Ministry of Defence has said it will not discuss whether the spectacle was connected to any ongoing operations in the area.

So all in all it was a bit exciting but then I started to think what if it had been bigger?

Somebody said that it was the size of a melon and if something the size of a melon can light up the sky like that I wondered what the hell it would be like with something bigger like car sized, bus sized, building sized - of course I do read a lot of dystopian fiction so I blame that for my momentary freak out!!

Have you seen any space related crazy in your neck of the woods?
Share:

22 comments

  1. Wow, that is a crazy! I had a moment last summer when I was out walking by myself on a trail by my house. Suddenly a creepy noise started overhead that quickly got louder, and 8 military helicopters flew overhead, really low, in formation. It was seriously like something out of Black Hawk Down. I totally freaked out and thought WWIII had started (I also read too much dystopian lol). Come to find out it was a military training exercise for nuclear preparedness, since we live close to a nuclear power plant. I did not feel relieved after finding this out :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have freaked me out and I think I would have expected the worst too. We have a lot of RAF jets flying in our valley and I always assume that we are under attack!

      Delete
  2. What? That's awesome! Quite the light up... they always say meteors but we know better. Seriously though that is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is looking back but it was freaky at the time.

      Delete
  3. Whoa that is something pretty amazing! And creepy! It's interesting to know what we dismiss things as when we are sure it isn't anything too dangerous to really affect us much. Passing it off as lightning ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had seen a random fork lightning strike just before Christmas, no storm or anything and my mind immediately thought of that!

      Delete
  4. So crazy!!! Totally sounds like something from one of our books right??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness it burned up in the atmosphere because something the size of a melon coming at that speed would still cause big damage! Do you get heat lightening in Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I have seen lightning in the last few years and never heat lightning.

      Delete
  6. Omgosh that's super scary and also awesome at the same time! I live in a major city so I've never seen something like this before — the closest thing would be a flash of lightning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super scary, especially all the theories just afterwards like it was aliens!!

      Delete
  7. I see weird crap all the time with the weirdos that live in this town! They lurch by my house like zombies on a daily basis-drunk, drugged up or looking shifty! I swear if the zombie apocalypse came, I'd be the last to notice a difference! Funny, when I saw the footage on TV of the meteor I was thinking 'wonder if Heather saw it!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, I can almost hazard a guess where you live!!! Nope I missed it but I experienced it by association!!

      Delete
  8. What! That is so crazy. I would be freaking out and my mind went totally "dystopian" reading that article. Glad to hear it was okay, probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody hurt, just lots of crazy speculation and my sudden desire to buy a dashboard cam!

      Delete
  9. Woah, that is so crazy! It would definitely freak me out a bit. I'm glad it wasn't any bigger and didn't damage anything!

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flash it gave off was incredible just from a rock the size of a melon

      Delete
  10. That is so cool! But definitely also scary, mostly because I keep imagining it making it all the way down to earth and smashing a house or something lol. Like you said, that's crazy if something melon sized was able to light up the sky like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit scary when I started thinking about it more!

      Delete
  11. That's amazing! And too bad you were facing away from it, Heather! Thanks for sharing those videos - it's both creepy and amazing at the same time.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazingly creepy but yep really amazing!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig