Friday, 18 March 2016

REVIEW - Saga Volume One by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Title: Saga: Volume One

Author: Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Publisher: Image

Release Date: 25th October 2012

Source: Own Copy

Winner of the 2013 Hugo award for Best Graphic Story! 

When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe.

 From New York Times bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. 

Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults. This specially priced volume collects the first six issues of the smash-hit series The Onion A.V. Club calls "the emotional epic Hollywood wishes it could make." 

Voted one of the top graphic novels of the year by the NYT, IGN, the Examiner, and SF Weekly. Voted Best Comic of the year by MTV Geek and Best New Series by Paradox Comics. Voted a finalist in the GoodReads Best GN of 2012 contest. Named one of Time Magazine's top 10 graphic novels for 2013

Until last year I had never read a graphic novel in my life, the only comics I had ever read in my life were the Beano and Garfield.  

In 2015 I picked up my first couple of graphic novels, the first was the illustrated WOOL by Hugh Howey which was awesome and the second was the excellent Nimona by Noelle Stevenson which made me long for something else as colourful and fun to read.

Saga filled the bill.

As well as colourful and fun, I could add gruesome, bloody, violent, erotic, hot, sexy, scary and bizarre to list, oh and it looks beautiful, like shit hot crazy beautiful.  

Alana and Marko our leading characters are star crossed lovers, on the run and up the duff.  If you are not keen on graphic birth scenes then avoid the first couple of pages as the novel kicks off with Alana giving birth to our narrator, it is not a quiet scene!

The book follows our young lovers both of them soldiers from opposing forces that have fallen in love against all that they know and believe, they are on the run and the child that they have brought in to the world should never have been.

This is only volume one of this epic series so I am not going to go deep in to what happens but many stories cross over Marko and Alana's such as the bounty hunter on their trail, The Will who has a wonderfully sarcastic feline companion Lying Cat plus the freakish looking Prince Robot IV who is also after the pair, and I better not forget the incredible arachnid lady Stalk who may make you look at spiders in a different light.

Whether you are new reader to graphic novels like me or a veteran, read Saga, it is a rip roaring crazy sci fi ride across the vast galaxy with a cast of beautifully illustrated characters that jump of the page at you and I hope you love it as much as I do.



Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings

Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Share:

6 comments

  1. Yay, you've finally got your Saga review posted! I agree with all those words you used to describe it lol. Especially beautiful! I love the art. I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the volumes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone's reading this! I need to get a copy... and everyone says it rocks too, so... yeah. I need to get on with these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone loves this series and I can't wait to fall in love with it as well because the drawings look epic and apparently the storyline is too. So glad you loved it :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig