Saturday, 11 June 2016

BLOG TOUR REVIEW - All Together Now by Gill Hornby

Title: All Together Now 

Author: Gill Hornby

Publisher: Abacus

Release Date: 2nd June 2016

Source: Publisher ARC


The small town of Bridgeford is in crisis. The high street is half empty, businesses are closing and the idea of civic pride seems old-fashioned to the commuters rushing home from work. Somehow, it seems to have lost its heart.

But there is one thing that might just bring the town together: music. The Bridgeford Community Choir has a chance of winning the county championship. First though, the small band of singers must find a lot of new members and a whole new sound. Enter Tracey - one of life's soloists, and hiding a secret past; Bennett - a church choir refugee, baffled by the modern world. And Jazzy - who sees her voice as her passport straight out of town to a future of fame and fortune. Can they really fit in with dependable old regulars like Annie? Can they learn to work together, save their singing group and maybe even their community?

All Together Now is a funny, sharply observed and moving novel about the joys of singing, about living in harmony, about falling in love... and about the importance of finding your own, true voice.


PRAISE FOR ALL TOGETHER NOW

‘Witty and brilliantly observed, with a passion for the pop song and an undertow of real warmth’ – Kirsty Wark

‘Warm and gently satirical All Together Now offers a light-hearted take on small-town life’ Sunday Times

‘A sparkling comedy of manners . . . a treasure trove of bittersweet comic moments and wonderfully sympathetic creations, social satire and the lightest of touches’ Daily Telegraph

‘This gloriously fun tale about a community choir group is packed with drama, love, and brilliant characters’ Heat Magazine

‘A great idea, written with heart and humour’ Daily Mail

‘Hornby’s writing can be very funny indeed, and she’s as sharp as a lancet when it comes to group politics’ The Times

‘I devoured this well-observed, amusing feel-good story about small-town life in a sitting’ Woman & Home

‘Charming and very funny’ Good Housekeeping

‘Loveable characters provide some laugh out loud moments in this charming novel’ Bella

A lot of the books I read are dark with scary zombies and the world about to end but you know when the apocalypse gets too much I do like to look for a good book that will take me to a happier place.

All Together Now is the perfect prescription to cure my dystopian book overdose!

It is the charming tale of the small town of Bridgeford and its community choir.  Now choral ensembles are everywhere this day and programmes like Glee and of course Pitch Perfect give a fun teen view to it all but the Bridgeford community choir is quite the mixed bag.

The choir has people of all ages but its membership has waned and when the choir leader is involved in a car crash, well the remaining members start to fret.

The town of Bridgeford isn't exactly full of perfectly pitched singers but with some gentle persuasion the choir manages to acquire some new members and begins to find new life.

Of course it isn't just about the singing, the members are all from different backgrounds - they include Tracey who is a single mum who really isn't keen to be involved, Bennett who is recently divorced with an outstanding voice and Annie, who is keeping the choir together, just!

They are a mixed bag and as the choir gets in to its stride we learn more and more about the people who bring the songs to life, as well as discovering their love of song and I know this sounds cheesy but they all discover themselves too, they learn what they are all capable off.

It really is a charming read, full of humour and the characters are all wholly likeable plus there are lots of lovely nods to lots of songs that you will find yourself singing whilst you read!

Thank you to Abacus for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.





Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Share:

16 comments

  1. I love these kinds of ensemble cast books where everyone's different but they all kind of find a piece of happiness and things just get better. I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it! I can see why this would be a perfect cure for some dystopian burnout! I'm looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it, it is a lovely read!

      Delete
  2. As a singer and chorus director, I would love to read this! Alas, my library doesn't seem to have it. My mom's library does, though, so I'll try to remember to borrow it when I visit in August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad this was such a good read for you, it does sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, this sounds sweet and like quite a fun read! :D I always gravitate to the zombie novels myself, hahaah, buuuuut, it's good to have these kinds of ones out there, right?!? And PERFECT for when you're tired of action books *nods* ;D Glad you enjoyed it!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds lovely, Heather! Might remind me of my own time spent in different choirs ;) I've just added it on goodreads. I read so much YA nowadays that I need to keep track of everything else I want to read really carefully. Thanks for the brill review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember the BBC show with Gareth Malone called The Choir? I loved that show, so I think I would love this book. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the reason I don't read a lot of dystopia's anymore, I do love the genre, but they can get a bit too dark at times and a lighter read is a welcome change once you've read a lot of them in a row.
    This sounds like a fun one with how the focus is around the community and the choir. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sound of a book about a choir! I don't think I have heard of anything like that before and it sounds really new and fun :D And the cover looks lovely and light hearted as well ^.^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig