Sunday, 26 June 2016

The Sunday Post #53 - 26th June 2016



Welcome to my Sunday Post, a weekly meme hosted by Kimberley over at the Caffeinated Book Reviewer . Join me as I ramble about my week in and out of the blogosphere.



Hello, how you doing?

The end of term is approaching soon so my kids have been busily taking part in those end of term activities such as sports day (well sports day #2, #1 was cancelled due to "inclement weather", I mean FFS we live in Scotland, the weather is always inclement), prize giving where my youngest is getting the maths award for her year and my oldest is getting the writing award for her year but the main event would have to be the theatrical spectacular that was Shakepeare Rocks! Yes the kids at school put on a crazy good show about the bard, it was funny and funky, well done all!

In the blogosphere, I have been busily reading, well actually that is a bit of a lie as I have been doing more sleeping than reading but I have been trying to read lots. I got some fantastic ARCs in this week which I cannot wait to read including Jay Kristoff's Nevernight which makes up for my jealousy of seeing Gemina ARCs everywhere!

I am also in full holiday planning mode with the important decision of "what book to take on the plane" high on my list, closely followed by what to wear on the plane!

Unless you have been living under a rock, you may have heard about the UK and our voting to leave the European Union, voting is a very private thing (for some people) but what has shocked me more is once again people are on social media slagging one another off for making the wrong choice. People are unfriending each other because they voted to leave, people are getting accused of this, that and the next thing, I am fed up of the whole thing. I am also fed up of the impending doomsday that is coming because we are out of the EU and the fact that it is going to apparently be terrible for my kids, now maybe I am wrong but the world we live in has already gone to shit, it is not getting any better is it? I think my kids will have more to worry them in the future besides whether or not we are in the EU like I don't know, global warming, unemployment, terrorism, the massive gap between the rich and the poor. Anyway rant over *steps down from soap box*

Also US readers, thanks for sending Donald Trump to Scotland this week, his hair looked amazing!


Happy reading book bunnies!

Sunday Post loves Orlando!

Bizarre books meets a certain sparkly vampire!

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY - A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

GUEST POST/BLOG TOUR - You Had Me At Hello by Lisa Dickenson


Mmmmmmm, hopefully some reviews and may be a new feature which I am thinking about....





Saga volume 6 is out on the 5th July and I am totally in love with this series, you should read it!


My picks from this week in years gone by!!

2015 - I reviewed a Town Called Dust by Justin Wooley

2014 - I had the blog tour for Essence by Lisa Ann O' Kane


I have received physical and e-copies of some fab books this week, thank you to all the publishers for sending them! Also, some of them are my own purchases, the pics link to Goodreads for you to find out more!















Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Share:

42 comments

  1. Isn't the world awesome this week? Oh and can Trump stay in Scotland ? No? Well I tried. lol seriously though whenever I hear this doomsday stuff I think well, yeah but... at least I don't live in the time of no medicine or the Black Plague and stuff. I mean the world's always been kind of a mess, right? I'm sure the UK will survive this.

    I didn't read much this week either, don't feel bad. It happens. Maybe this week will be better? I'll bet you can't wait for Orlando. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trump can happily fly back to the US thank you very much!!

      Delete
  2. I've decided I'm going to live in a bubble for awhile. Everything is so negative and so end of days and just so loud that it's exhausting. That's why I like book blogging. We get to focus on books! The Shakespeare play sounds really fun! I've been really impressed with some of the school performances that I've gone too. It's hard to believe that children can be so talented. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bubble sounds good Katherine, the world is just so hellish.

      Delete
  3. Your week has been absolutely full! I applaud you for standing up for what you believe in, I'm still unsure about all that's actually happened because things here in the US are on a cliffs edge. I'm kind of hoping that y'all would've kept Trump, hair and all LOL! Enjoy your week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His hair is just an amazing work of art!!!

      Delete
  4. Us Scottish people could've predicted the hate and bile since the vote, as it happened during the IndyRef vote too. What hacks me off is the Remain's scaremongering has people thinking all non UK citizens are going to be deported tomorrow & no foreigners will be allowed in, which is rubbish. I also hate hearing the young slagging off older voters who can remember us doing perfectly well without the damn EU interfering! Brexit voters are suddenly racists and idiots, which infuriates me, as does the Remain view that we should ignore the result because they don't like it. If they had won, they would've been furious at the suggestion of a rerun by Leave! I blame the politicians on both sides for the lies and personal attacks which had infected the country and will cause another Indyref. I'm so sick of voting on stuff! I wish it would all just go away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it would all go away too but it still lingers, I think the backlash was worse than the indy ref, it was just so horrible.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you guys had to deal with the Donald. Sure you didn't need him there after all the craziness after the vote. But glad you appreciate his hair :)Wow great haul - especially Nevernight!! Enjoy and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man your week sounds absolutely packed Heather, hope this week is a bit quieter for you so you can get some reading in :) We have an election coming up in Australia this Saturday, so it seems like a lot of voting seems to be happening in June/July. Nothing as major as your recent one though.

    Ha! Did you manage to catch a glimpse of Trump?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no glimpse of Trump which amazes me with that crazy hair of his!

      Delete
  7. Man your week sounds absolutely packed Heather, hope this week is a bit quieter for you so you can get some reading in :) We have an election coming up in Australia this Saturday, so it seems like a lot of voting seems to be happening in June/July. Nothing as major as your recent one though.

    Joy @ Thoughts By J
    Ha! Did you manage to catch a glimpse of Trump?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no glimpse of Trump which amazes me with that crazy hair of his!

      Delete
  8. Oh the pressure of what book for the plane..epp. I packed a book, an audiobook and my kindle..hehe. Congrats to your children and the Shakespeare Rocks sounds delightful! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can keep Trump if you like. Ha ha. Yay for Nevernight! Maybe we can buddy read it. The covers of the Christopher Fowler books are awesome. I am going to look up their summaries. Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooops I thought I commented. Mayhaps it is held in moderation? Congrats to kids and the Shakespeare Rocks sounds like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry you had to go through all this. I hope things get better for you and your family. Here’s my Sunday Post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always plan my holiday reads before my holiday clothes too! I think everyone is worried about the UK leaving the EU as it's unprecedented so we just don't know what to expect. But yay for a great ARC to lighten the heavy mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to your kids for their awards! But yes, what to read on the plane is definitely higher ranking that what to wear ;-)

    You got some really interesting looking books this week! And I'm excited for Saga too! Have a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen and one day soon I hope to get all my Saga reviews up!

      Delete
  14. Tee hee - laughed at your Donald Trump comment... and yes, changes are certainly afoot in world politics at the moment, aren't they. We've also got our national elections here in Australia this coming weekend.

    Congrats to your kids on their awards and the concert sounds great. I suspect they're looking forward to the upcoming break!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha at the Trump comment. I think the big unknown about what will happen with the economy and so on which will affect jobs, and that there is a group of those that voted to leave that seem to have admitted that they now regret it, kind of rubs people the very wrong way. Which I do really get. But that doesn't mean you should cut people out of your life. Whatever happened to normal discussions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal discussions seem to have gone out of the window, people seem to have crazy strong opions on Brexit and god help anybody who doesn't agree, me I love everyone just the same!

      Delete
  16. Congrats to your babies for being so talented and entertaining!
    I am really curious to see what being out of the EU means for the UK. What is it actually going to change. I imagine if I lived there I would be very informed about it and have my own opinion, but I don't really know if it is a bad or a good thing with the little information I have right now. I wish you would do a post about it. Or not, since it is such a private thing.
    I am also really excited to have Nevernight! I totally missed out on Gemina, and I was right there, at BEA, where copies were being handed out. That is just sad. I also have in the back of my mind that I NEED to hardcover version of the book to sit next to Illuminae on my shelf. So there's that.
    I am really curious about the Christopher Fowler books you got. I'll be looking for those reviews, so hurry up on that okay. Thanks!
    Have a great week Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks you missed Gemina, I am sure we will get our copies in due course making us appreciate them more!

      Brexit is going to be a long drawn out process, good for some but not for others.

      Delete
  17. It sounds like you had a busy, but fun week with the end of the year activities your kids had. That's great you got an arc you really wanted.
    I saw a lot about the UK and EU on social media and it's really frightening how passionate people get about it, no matter which side they voted. Guess we'll see what happens next and how it impacts things.
    Enjoy your new books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha you're welcome to keep Trump for longer if you like! ;) Yay for your kids winning awards and that Shakespeare Rocks performance sounds like a ton of fun!!

    I LOVE the Saga grahpic novels. I can't wait for the 6th volume. So soon!

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes you just need a little extra sleep! Nothing wrong with that! I hope you love Nevernight! I plan to read it soon too! :D

    Here's my Weekly Recap!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brexit gets me so angry you don't even want to start the argument with me because I'll just go on and on about it and rant like crazy! But I do hope the end of term goes well for you and your kids :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's super exciting that you got Nevernight as well, it's such a beautiful ARC! Yeah, I heard about the Brexit and it's pretty scary about all the changes that would be happening. Wow, the next version of Saga is out so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saga is such a great read, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig