Friday, 22 July 2016

REVIEW - The Walking Dead: Volume 1 Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore

Title: The Walking Dead: Volume 1 Days Gone By

Author: Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore

Publisher: Image Comics

Release Date: 28th September 2006

Source: Own Copy



The world we knew is gone. The world of commerce and frivolous necessity has been replaced by a world of survival and responsibility. An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months society has crumbled: no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. In a world ruled by the dead, the survivors are forced to finally start living.
I won't insult you by explaining the Walking Dead to you, you know what it is about.  The end of the world, hordes of zombies and survivors fighting to survive.

After watching all of the episodes on television, I thought I had better go back to where it all began and read the graphic novel series.  This could be an expensive decision as I rather enjoyed volume one and I think it is on volume twenty something now.

Obviously the tv show and the novel don't always follow the same plot but it was nice to see how the characters were originally imagined.  I mean when I see Rick, I see Andrew Lincoln but this volume shows me the characters in a totally different light.  It also shows how well the casting of the tv show did with matching some of the characters to their on screen counterparts.  

The characters feel wonderfully real, from their facial expressions to the dialogue, all illustrated brilliantly, plus with it being drawn in monochrome shades the world looks suitably bleak.

Yes I know The Walking Dead does feature a lot of blood and gore, something that does not come in shades of gray but those zoms look suitably bloody and nasty, don't worry about that.

Volume One follows Rick's awakening from his coma, his discovery that the world has gone to hell and his family are gone.  Rick finds his family but he also finds new friends, fellow survivors each with their own tale to tell - Carol is not a badass at this point!

I'm still new to reading graphic novels but I have a feeling it is going to expand considerably thanks to this.  Gritty and gripping, it will keep me in zombies until season 7.






Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Share:

2 comments

  1. I have been wanting to check out at least the first issue. I know someone who has read all of the these, but will not watch the tv show because it will ruin the characters. When the show first came out we had parties to watch the new episode each season and they wouldn't come. I think three or four people still manage to get together for the season premieres, but most of us don't go to the parties anymore because we are so far behind in watching. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check out volume one, I am happy watching and reading even though there are a few differences notably Daryl being a made for tv character.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig