Tuesday, 12 July 2016

REVIEW - The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin


Title: The City of Mirrors

Author: Justin Cronin

Publisher: Orion Publishing Group

Release Date: 16th June 2016

Source: Publisher ARC

Book 1 - The Passage     Book 2 - The Twelve

The concluding part of The Passage trilogy is finally here. And it's worth the wait.

In life I was a scientist called Fanning.
Then, in a jungle in Bolivia, I died.
I died, and then I was brought back to life...
Prompted by a voice that lives in her blood, the fearsome warrior known as Alicia of Blades is drawn towards to one of the great cities of The Time Before. The ruined city of New York. Ruined but not empty. For this is the final refuge of Zero, the first and last of The Twelve. The one who must be destroyed if mankind is to have a future.
What she finds is not what she's expecting.
A journey into the past.
To find out how it all began.
And an opponent at once deadlier and more human than she could ever have imagined.

This has been a monumental read, from the start of The Passage till the final moments of City of Mirrors, well these book haven't slowed down at all.

I was excited to get my paws on City of Mirrors but also it was very bittersweet as of course it means my journey with all of the characters was drawing to a close.

Would this book manage to tie up all of the characters stories?, would there ever be peace in their world free from the dracs?

Well as this is book three, I am not going to dignify that question with an answer because c'mon SPOILERS!!! But what does happen in this book is we go back in the past, before the outbreak and learn more about Zero aka Fanning, the scientist who was there when the virus reared its ugly head. 

We find out what sort of man he was, what motivated him and we get an good look at the things he did in his life, some of them not pretty.  This bit of background knowledge fits in nicely with the what is happening in the characters now.

Has it wrapped up the series nicely? Well yes but, there is always a but, there are still a lot of questions I'd like answered like what happened to the greater world, I mean this whole series could grow arms and legs.

This is an epic series, each book is the size of a doorstop and if you are starting at book one, quite frankly you are going to lose a lot of days by just reading these books, my housework suffered badly throughout my read of City of Mirrors.

If you like your books involving the fall of civilisation as we know it then I thoroughly recommend this series to you.

Thank you to Orion Publishing for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.





Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Share:

2 comments

  1. This sounds like a powerful read. I've seen some reviews for The Passage and wanted to pick it up but didn't realize that this one was the conclusion of the trilogy. This definitely sounds like a read I shouldn't miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a phenomenal series, so brilliant, I wish I could read it again from scratch!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig