Saturday, 6 August 2016

REVIEW - Harry Potter and The Cursed Child by Rowling, Tiffany and Thorne


Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Author: JK Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne

Publisher: Little Brown

Release Date: 31st July 2016

Source: Publisher Own Copy

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play received its world premiere in London’s West End on 30th July 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

The world of Harry Potter needs no explanation and unless you have been living under a rock you know who is who and what is what.  You will also know that it has been made in to a London show - The Cursed Child.

JK along with John Tiffany and Jack Thorne have taken the characters we know and love, and revisits them 19 years later as adults with children of their own.

I won't go over the plot too much as the book is still new and I don't want to spoil it for fans still to get their mitts on it but I want to talk about the characters.

First of all there are quite a few new characters and out of all of those my favourite would have to be Scorpius Malfoy, the fruit of Draco Malfoy's loins, he is such a brilliant character.  He goes to school with Harry's middle child Albus and the pair of them become unlikely friends.  Scorpius is the kind of friend you need in your life, the polar opposite of his father, he is kind, caring and the bestest friend that Albus could ever have.  

Secondly, Draco his dad, I thought he was a total weasel in the original books but as an adult, a father and husband, he really does come in to his own and yes he has done a lot of terrible things in his life but in book eight, he does redeem himself in my eyes.

Old characters of course also make a re-appearance, it is no secret that Ron and Hermione are married as are Harry and Ginny, some others also make great appearances, some very much missed characters.

Now this is not a traditional book, it a a script which is not everyones cup of tea but I didn't mind it at all.  The story is good, really good but not excellent.  Maybe if it was an actual book where more of a scene was set it was be excellent.  

It is a nice addition to the HP shelf but you know what I want from JK, I want maybe a prequel of how Lily and James fell in love, journeys to the other wizarding schools, maybe even a journey with a whole new wizarding family, who knows, she has plenty of talent and I am sure she will continue to entertain us.




Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Share:

12 comments

  1. A script can be a little hard to get used to but I don't think it would bother me either. I know some people were unhappy because they didn't realize it was a script until they started reading which I can understand. This does sound good! I'd love to see the other characters - particularly Draco as grownups. I like that he is redeemable and this his son is a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His son was a high point of this book!

      Delete
  2. I loved the story so much-it was well worth the wait. It would've made a good film but obviously it can't happen unless there are certain plot changes. I also loved the Malfoys in this book. Gah, I want to do a full review with plot details but nobody else seems to be doing it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, ach well at least we know what has happened. I hope the play tours, it would be good if it comes up to Scotland!

      Delete
  3. I gave it four stars, too. I enjoyed it and it makes you think about how the wizarding war affected all of them. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! I am glad you liked it. So many of the reviews I've seen have been negative. Of course everyone had really high expectations.

    I wouldn't mind if she decided to write some books set in the American wizarding world in a different time period, etc. I am really looking forward to seeing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It's been a big year for Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a huge year, yep books about the other countries would be great!

      Delete
  5. I really loved the play. For one, I like reading plays - the format works for me. Two - I just really liked the story overall, and yes, Scorpius Malfoy is fantastic. I'll be seeing the actual play in London next month and I can't wait!!!

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so jealous, I hope you enjoy it Lauren!

      Delete
  6. I have been seeing people being a bit disappointed because of plot holes in this book and mixed thoughts about the layout even though they were all aware it was going to be different. I am glad you could pretty much enjoy this one though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I really did enjoy it, I think a lot of people thought it would be like the other books.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig