Monday, 1 August 2016

BLOG TOUR - REVIEW - The Last Days of Jack Sparks


Title: The Last Days of Jack Sparks

Author: Jason Arnopp

Publisher: Orbit

Release Date: 28th July 2016

Source: Publisher ARC


Jack Sparks died while writing this book. This is the account of his final days.
In 2014, Jack Sparks - the controversial pop culture journalist - died in mysterious circumstances.
To his fans, Jack was a fearless rebel; to his detractors, he was a talentless hack. Either way, his death came as a shock to everyone.
It was no secret that Jack had been researching the occult for his new book. He'd already triggered a furious Twitter storm by mocking an exorcism he witnessed in rural Italy.
Then there was that video: forty seconds of chilling footage that Jack repeatedly claimed was not of his making, yet was posted from his own YouTube account.
Nobody knew what happened to Jack in the days that followed - until now. This book, compiled from the files found after his death, reveals the chilling details of Jack's final hours.
Read on and decide for yourself what really happened to the notorious Jack Sparks - in this razor-sharp tale about the dangers of mocking what you don't believe . . .


Jack Sparks is a total dick.

He is an arrogant, self-centre, egotistical, social media princess, megalomaniac who has the cheek to slag off poor Louis Theroux.

Jack Sparks is also now dead - ha, I have your attention don't I?!

Jack died whilst he was writing a book on the supernatural, how he basically believed it to be a lot of old bollocks, naturally he pissed off a lot of people, but the one thing that Jack Sparks was capable of was finding a good story.  

Did this one get him killed?

The Last Days is a "tribute" to Jack, his brother has pressed for his manuscript to be released posthumously to show the legions of, well I would say fans but they are followers since Jack lived his life in tweets and posts online, anyway to show his fans his final work.

Sounds innocent enough so far, well you know what, this book scared me to death, when you first start reading Jack is a burned out hack with an ego the size of a planet but he saw some scary stuff. Stuff which he brushed off as a lot of crap.

He basically wants to debunk anything supernatural like exorcisms and ghostly goings on.  He doesn't really care who he pisses off, he doesn't care what people believe in and he has no idea what is coming for him.

It starts in the form of a video, one that appears on his own YouTube account, one that he has posted. Except he hasn't.  The video scares him, what he sees, genuinely scares him and when you read what happens it will scare you too.

His life starts to unravel and you the reader are in for a crazy read.  I read it at night time, which was quite frankly a stupid idea on my part.  I was reading it on my Kindle and I had the feeling something was watching me, I had the light off and was starting to freak myself out.  

Nothing was watching me you'll be happy to know except my dog.

Anyway, this is a scary read, you don't mess with what you don't know and Jack Sparks got in way over his head.  The whole atmosphere of the book is creepy as hell, especially when you get the other side of the story, people who Jack was interviewing, their stories versus his version of events.  Things do not add up.

I can honestly say I loved this book, Jack despite his many faults is a likeable egomaniac and his characters reliance on social media is of course very much how a lot of us live our lives through tweets and instagram selfies.  This book managed to both make me scared shitless and laugh, though not at the same time.  

I think you should read this book, just do it with the light on.
Thank you to Orbit for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.




Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:




Delivered by FeedBurner
Instagram

Random Redheaded Ramblings

Share:

6 comments

  1. This has me laughing. Because although Jack is a horrible person, somehow knowing that he is dead makes you want to give him a chance, and want to know what happened! It's the perfect way to hook a reader's interest :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was such a piece of work but this book was brilliant!

      Delete
  2. Ha! Okay, I wasn't sure if this was fiction or non-fiction at first. It has been a long day. But I am so eager to read this now! I think I will after what I'm reading now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is fiction pretending to be non fiction but it is a brilliant read!

      Delete
  3. At nighttime with the lights off is the *best* way to read scary books! Lol I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It does sound interesting, and your review definitely caught my attention! Sometimes those jerk characters are the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig