Saturday, 12 November 2016

REVIEW - Paper Girls Volume One by Brian K Vaughan & Cliff Chiang

REVIEW - Paper Girls Volume One by Brian K Vaughan & Cliff Chiang Sci Fi Graphic Novel

Title: Paper Girls

Author: Vaughan and Chiang

Publisher: Image

Release Date: 5th April 2016

Source: Own Copy

In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood.

My new found love of graphic novels has got me working my way through the catalogue of Image Comics because at this moment in time they have all my favourites series such as Saga and The Walking Dead.  Now that list includes Paper Girls, an awesome eighties nostalgia sci-fi read.

Set in the late eighties, the story follows four 12 going on 42 paper delivery girls (Erin, Mac, Tiffany and KJ) as they go about their morning delivering the news, but it is not just any morning.

We meet them on the 1st November, the morning after Halloween, the four girls have grouped together as there is quite frankly a lot of weirdos and cops wandering about in the wee small hours but that is the least of their worries.

One of the girls has their walkie talkie stolen by some ghost looking dudes and not being 'fraid of shit they find themselves in hot pursuit of the culprits but they soon find themselves out of their depths as they descend in to a basement (oh no...) of an empty house (...this spells disaster really have they not seen any eighties horror movie?) and find (...crazy dude with a hockey mask?) a huge tarp covered object. 

WTF?!

Of course curiosity gets the better of them and they whip of the tarp and discover what looks like a crazy ass time machine. No sooner than the tarp is off loud noises and a bright light find them running for lives. Outside they find themselves once more in hot pursuit, the ghost guys who stole the walkie are right there, the girls attack and what they find under the costumes has them reeling in horror.

The ghost guys manage to flee but they leave behind an object, a tiny square with an apple on it, y'know an Apple on it, these ghost guys are not from 1988 and if they aren't from the 80's then where the hell are they from?

From here on things go from bad to worse but I'll end up spoiling it for you, the girls find themselves in mortal danger and they also find themselves alone but again spoilers!

Papers Girls is awesome, these four girls are street smart, wise mouth, sassy kids and the portrayal of them is spot on plus the eighties references are brilliant with everything from the Wrath of Khan, MacGyver and Peggy Sue got married. It looks brilliant too, lots of purples, pinks and blues make up the novel, which considering it is set during early morning is perfect. 

Volume 2 comes out in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to it as the ending of this volume is a total WTF moment, it is the perfect blend of eighties nostalgia, a buddy movie and time travel sci fi craziness.

Also yes the cover features a twelve year old smoking, don't smoke kids, this is only a comic!!

Paper Girls = fricking awesome!





Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:

Share:

9 comments

  1. I need to read this bad boy, big time. Vol 2 is almost out! 12 going on 42 lol. I love the premise of this, and the slight weirdness. :) Image has a ton of good stuff out now. I didn't know this one had time travel too! Yeeks- sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, I think you'll love it! It is retro yet futuristic at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I really like Vaughan and I'm looking forward to trying this one. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this one. I also really love Saga. Might I recommend Locke and Key by Joe Hill? All the books are out - it's like 6 graphic novel collections, I believe.

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I'll check that out Lauren I'm always on the lookout for new reads!

      Delete
  4. I read this just the other day and absolutely loved it, so I'm glad to enjoyed it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read this graphic novel soon. Have been hearing so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig