Friday, 18 November 2016

REVIEW - The Tourist by Robert Dickinson


Title: The Tourist

Author: Robert Dickinson

Publisher: Orbit

Release Date: 20th October 2015

Source: ARC

THE FUTURE HAS ALREADY HAPPENED.

It's expected to be an excursion like any other. There is nothing in the records to indicate that anything out of the ordinary will happen.

A bus will take them to the mall. They will have an hour or so to look around. Perhaps buy something, try their food.

A minor traffic incident on the way back to the resort will provide additional interest - but the tour rep has no reason to expect any trouble.

Until he notices that one of his party is missing.

Most disturbingly, she is a woman who, according to the records, did not go missing.

Now she is a woman whose disappearance could change the world.

With breathtaking plot twists that ricochet through time, The Tourist is the most original conspiracy thriller you will read this year.
Doctor Who described time travel as wibbly and wobbly, to be honest time travel confuses the hell out of me, I mean my brain hurts just trying to figure it out.

Set across various times lines, the main premise is that time tourists from our future come back and visit our time to see how we lived.  They are taken to "tourist" spots such as shopping malls to immerse themselves in our ways for an hour, they are there to mainly look not touch but those tourists are a curious bunch.

Each tour group has a guide and it is the guides job to make sure they don't get in to trouble, they pay attention to the rules and of course that they all get back on the bus.  Spens works for one of the lower end tour company, his group have just visited a local shopping centre but the extra bonus on their trip is a small accident with another vehicle on their way back to their resort.  Everything goes to plan but Spens discovers that he is one tourist short, a woman has disappeared.

Now people have disappeared before but this is different, something is happening and this woman seems caught up in it, Spens along with some friends is tasked with trying to track her down but he finds that time is going very wrong and that the past and future are catching up with him.

Yes this did confuse me a little and I did have to re-read some bits to get through it but I loved the idea of tourists coming back from the future to see how we lived.   The one thing though that niggled at me and I can see why it wasn't revealed at any point was the hint that between our time and the time of the tourists something bad has befallen Earth, an event that just about wiped us out.  I suppose if it was revealed then the whole time travel thing may have taken a back seat.

This book made my brain hurt in a good way, I loved the whole premise of the book and it really got me thinking about the whole wibbly wobbly timey wimey thing!

Thanks to Orbit for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.




Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:

Share:

2 comments

  1. Ooh this sounds good and twisty. I like time travel that screws with your brain a bit lol, as long as it's not TOO out there. This seems very original and I love the idea of tourists coming back t osee how we lived. What if one decided to stay ? Hmm. I never heard of this one but I'll be checking it out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I was eyeing this one at the bookstore last week... I may have to pick up a copy! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig