Thursday, 29 December 2016

MOVIE REVIEW - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story


I was looking forward to seeing Rogue One, I'd heard great things from friends who had already seen it and as a huge fan of the Star Wars 'Verse the thought of seeing how they actually built the Death Star was kinda cool.

Well I finally saw the film yesterday and to be honest I'm undecided on how I feel about it, I mean don't get me wrong it was a great film, visually it looks stunning but I think it is maybe a tad long and Felicity Jones as Jyn is lovely to look at but I found her a bit flat but then maybe that was part of the whole tortured childhood thing.

Anyway good things, well as I say it looks amazing, from those gargantuan Imperial ships to the barren planet of Jeddah to the final battle on Scarif which was so beautifully tropical then blown to bits.  You can see money has been thrown at the visual and special effects - also I don't know if imagined it but at the end I am sure when one of the fighters blew up it left behind a smoky hidden mickey, a nod to the Disney paymasters perhaps!

As for characters, well I really liked the evil megalomaniac Director Krennic, he had an ego the size of the Death Star and boy he could really throw his toys of out his space station.  I also enjoyed Chirrut Îmwe the bad ass blind force believing warrior and his best bud Baze Malbus, they were great fun to watch.  Of course there are plenty of cameos too from such Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa and our two favourite robots briefly pop up too, plus there is a lingering shot on a glass of blue milk at the beginning of the film too.

The film I think to me warrants 3.5 stars which I'm gutted at saying, maybe on a second watch I'll grow to love it more.  They could have used Forest Whitaker more, a little bit more of how he raised Jyn and a little less blowing up of things at the end.  

The end though, well I'm not going to spoil it as it is generally known this film leads the way to Episode IV but they way it does it is fantastic, goosebumps moment and in the light of the recent loss of spectacular Carrie Fisher, it nearly had me in tears.



Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:

Share:

6 comments

  1. I have mixed feelings too, TBH, and I wanted a lot more from Jyn. She was awesome but totally one dimensional almost, we didn't get a lot of character development for her because I think there wasn't time. Too many characters to develop, even though I liked them all (well, most). Scarif was awesome though, loved it- and I missed the hidden Mickey lol.

    I liked Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus a lot, they were great! And blue milk! I liked the probe droid they snuck in there too! R2 and Threepio was my favorite cameo. I was kinda hoping they would spin off a few of the characters, show what they did for the Alliance after the mvie but obviously THAT's not going to happen lol. I'm with you though, I liked it but it was missing a little something to make it great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good effort but it just missed having that special something which was a shame. It really has me excited though for the next instalment.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you! *waves* I haven't watched the other new Star Wars film yet so I'm a bit behind. After the second trilogy my enthusiasm for Star Wars kind of vanished but my dad loved the new film and he'll probably want to grab this one when it's released. Maybe I'll see both next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey *waves back*!! The Force Awakens was excellent but this was just meh! Put the zombies down for an hour or two and catch up!!

      Delete
  3. I have been to see this one and I have to say that I absolutely adored it! I liked this addition a lot more than The Force Awakens. I wasn't a huge fan of the casting, but they built all the characters roles and personalities very well, and the epic battle at the end was amazing. The graphics were good, and it was so heart-breaking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was heart-breaking, that end gave me goosebumps!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig