Sunday, 1 January 2017

REVIEW - Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor

REVIEW - Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor

Title: Just One Damned Thing After Another

Author: Jodi Taylor

Publisher: Accent Press

Release Date: 21st November 2013

Source: Own Copy
Time travel meets history in this explosive, bestselling adventure series. 

At St Mary’s Institute of Historical Research, the historians don’t just study the past, they revisit it.

Behind the strait-laced façade of a conventional academic institution, the secret of time travel is being used for ground-breaking and daring historical research taking the historians on a rollercoaster ride through history: from the destruction of Pompeii to the Normandy trenches; from the Great Fire of London to Bronze Age Troy and even to the time of the dinosaurs…

Meanwhile, within at St Mary’s itself, there are power struggles and intrigues worthy of a book in themselves.

In Book One, we follow new recruit Max as she rides the catastrophe curve from eleventh-century London to the First World War, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria. For wherever Historians go, chaos is sure to follow in their wake ...

A friend recommended this series to me and boy, I am glad she did!  

St Mary's is bonkers, good bonkers.  Long story short it follows our female protagonist Max as she joins the secretive St Mary's Institute of Historical Research.  This is not a place where the Historians sit over dusty books and scrolls, no they live it.  

Yes they have freaking time machines!!

This could go one of either ways - 1) it could make this book really naff (some time travel books can be a bit meh) or 2) it is done it such a fun, crazy way that you can't help but love it.  Yes of course this book is option 2.

Just One Damned Thing After Another or for the sake of my fingers JODTAA follows Max as she joins the ranks of the historians at St Mary's, taking her from training to becoming a fully fledged historian.  

As book one in the series JODTAA eases you in to this world, I'm not 100% sure of the time setting, maybe near future, anyway we meet Max and her colleagues and then we travel to points in time that need to be researched.

But the path of St Mary's is never clear of problems, Max's journey brings her in contact with dinosaurs and legendary libraries, seeing history from a totally different POV whilst trying not to change anything and avoiding getting killed, maimed or worse running out of teabags.

This is a cracking read, in fact at this point in time I have just finished book 3 in the series, I love it so much.  It is a great mix of British proper-ness and humour with a large dollop of historical fun.  Plus there is a cracking sex scene which I had to re-read several times due to the enthusiasm of it!!  Also I don't think there was a single character who felt unnecessary.

A must read and a great start to my 2017 reviews!





Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:

Share:

10 comments

  1. I have never heard of this book but it sounds fabulous! Dinosaurs and library of Alexandria- I'm in! I'll have to check this out. Love the cover version in your sidebar too- I want that one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy this, I have just finished book 3 and it is amazing!

      Delete
  2. First of all, I am loving the red and black cover lol. What a cool premise though! I would be so much interested in history if I could actually go visit it myself! Glad you're loving the series so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see you are back!!! I was worried you were going to quit your blog.
    Anyways, this book sounds like Return Once More where there travel through time. Except of course that Return Once More was a big romance. This sounds more like an adventure story. Nice to see it is a chronicle so maybe there is more to come. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Karen! I nearly did but I think I just needed a long blogging break. Thanks for stopping by and hope married life is treating you well!!

      Delete
  4. Another five star review for this one. I've recently become very interested in this series. Now, even more so!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely worth checking out, it had been on my Kindle for so long, glad I took a look!

      Delete
  5. I really need to read this one because it sounds so wonderful. I really like the sound of time machines as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great read, you must definitely try!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig