Sunday, 16 April 2017

REVIEW - Lumberjanes #1 (Beware the Kitten Holy) by Stevenson, Ellis, Watters & Allen


Title: Lumberjanes #1 Beware the Kitten Holy

Author: Stevenson, Ellis, Watters & Allen

Publisher:  Boom Box

Release Date: 14th April 2015

Source: Own Copy
Friendship to the max! 

Jo, April, Mal, Molly and Ripley are five best pals determined to have an awesome summer together...and they’re not gonna let any insane quest or an array of supernatural critters get in their way! 

Not only is it the second title launching in our new BOOM! Box imprint but LUMBERJANES is one of those punk rock, love-everything-about-it stories that appeals to fans of basically all excellent things. 

It’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Gravity Falls and features five butt-kicking, rad teenage girls wailing on monsters and solving a mystery with the whole world at stake. And with the talent of acclaimed cartoonist Noelle Stevenson, talented newcomer Grace Ellis writing, and Brooke Allen on art, this is going to be a spectacular series that you won’t want to miss.

Being in my late thirties I could possibly be about twenty years above the ideal demographic for this comic series but to be honest I've never acted my age.

I read Nimona by Noelle Stevenson a couple of years back and loved it, looking for something else to read by Noelle I came across the Lumberjanes series which was quickly bunged on my Amazon wish list.

We'll not talk about the bit where it has taken me two years to getting around to buying and reading it though, anyway this book is all kinds of crazy cutesy supernaturally bonkers brilliance.

It follows our five Lumberjanes pals as they attend Miss Quinzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpets camp for hardcore lady types and each chapter follows our plucky gals as they earn their Lumberjane badges such as the Robyn Hood Badge and the Everything Under the Sum Badge.

This is no straightforward girl guide camp, there is all sorts of weird stuff going down in the woods but nothing our girls can't handle. Jo, April, Mal, Molly and Ripley are equally cute, sassy, smart and innocent all rolled up in to an adorable ball.  They are the kind of best friends everyone needs, they've got your back and they'll stick up for you no matter what.

As for the look of the book, it is lovely and colourful, full of greens, oranges and red that make the scenes explode of the pages, the illustrations are interspersed with the text that explains how a Lumberjane obtains the many badges they can earn.

A sweet read, full of good humour, it's been compared to Buffy (I've never seen it, I know, what the heck!) but I have seen Gravity Falls and totally get the comparison.

Friendship to the MAX!!!






Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:

Share:

6 comments

  1. I've been wanting to try Lumberjanes! I think this will be my next graphic novel purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love books that focus on friendship. I've seen this one around a lot but never read it - I need to!

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been a huge fan of these, but my little sister was. It definitely says a lot about friendship :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig