Saturday, 27 May 2017

REVIEW - Ms Marvel by Wilson and Alphona


Title: Ms. Marvel

Author: Wilson and Alphona

Publisher: Marvel

Release Date: 28th October 2014

Source: Amazon Prime Reading
Marvel Comics presents the all-new Ms. Marvel, the groundbreaking heroine that has become an international sensation! Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City - until she is suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the all-new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! As Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to handle? Kamala has no idea either. But she's comin' for you, New York!



I have not really ventured much in to the Marvel catalogue of titles having mostly started my newfound love of graphic novels with the back catalogue of Image Comics however Amazon launched in the last couple of weeks, Amazon Prime Reading which allowed me to select some new titles to read thanks to my Prime membership and those titles included a whole section devoted to comic books.  

Ms. Marvel was my first choice.

I knew from snippets in the press that this was something new, something different, a teenage Muslim girl who all of a sudden becomes extraordinarily gifted.  Ms. Marvel is not a leggy blonde or brunette with a massive chest and pearly white teeth, she is an ordinary geeky teenage girl who suffers from the usual problems that coming with being a teenager.  Problems such as embarrassing parents as well as embarrassing her parents in return, boy crushes and becoming super powerful.

Kamala Khan is a breath of fresh air, she in funny and awkward and totally not prepared for the powers that she all of a sudden gets thrust upon her.  

Most of all Ms. Marvel takes the generic cookie cutter formulas and throws them away, yes Kamala is Muslim but reading this she is just a normal (well superhero normal) teenage girl who is just trying to deal with something crazy that has happened to her.

I think this will be an inspiring read for girls, young and old.






Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:

Share:

6 comments

  1. I'm glad you got a shot to check this out. I've read the first couple volumes. I really need to see if I can get the rest from the library.

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it Lauren, looking forward to reading more!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of the new Ms. Marvel stuff although I did finally tackle Saga (I read the first three). But I've heard these are good... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does tackle mean you didn't enjoy it!! Lol!

      Delete
  3. Kamala is easily one of my favorites as well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig