Thursday, 7 September 2017

BLOG TOUR - The Last Dog on Earth by Adrian Walker


Heather, you've posted this already....you may be saying (or maybe not).  If you are, well you are seeing this again because the good folks at Del Rey asked me if I wanted to take part in the blog tour and as I love this book I happily agreed - plus it is out today so go check it out and the others on the tour!


Every dog has its day…

And for Lineker, a happy go lucky mongrel from Peckham, the day the world ends is his: finally a chance to prove to his owner just how loyal he can be.

Reg, an agoraphobic writer with an obsession for nineties football, plans to wait out the impending doom in his second floor flat, hiding himself away from the riots outside.

But when an abandoned orphan shows up in the stairwell of their building, Reg and Lineker must brave the outside in order to save not only the child, but themselves…
I always worry when I come across a book that involves my favourite animal, the dog.  I worry because if the dog dies it really can make me hate the rest of the book.  I know that is a bit daft but that is how I roll.

The dog in this book is, well how can I describe this adorable hound? - foul mouthed springs to mind. I know dogs can't talk but the dog in this book has his say, he doesn't talk out loud per se but his thoughts are put to paper and his thoughts and actions are full of expletives, like it would make a sailor blush.

Lineker, our four legged friend (yes he is named for the footballer and crisp seller) lives with Reg, an agoraphobic in a flat in London.  They have a good life together but the world outside is changing and not for the better.

Rioting, violence, the world is about to come to an abrupt nasty halt and Reg finds that his safe haven might not be so safe after all.  

A young girl shows up on his doorstep, orphaned, scared and lonely.  Against everything Reg decides to brave the outside and try and get the girl to wherever safety lies, what he finds outside is very different to the world he remembers.

This is an enjoyable read, the near future setting is quite close to the bone, the kind of future if the world keeps going the way it is, well I hope it never happens.  My favourite part of the book though was Lineker, the world through his eyes, the smells (quite graphic) and his colourful language were a breath of fresh air.  Now I find myself looking at my sweet innocent dog wondering if she is swearing at me!

This is a great quirky read full of humour and the horrors of a world gone to hell.

Thanks to Del Rey for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.




Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:
Share:

4 comments

  1. This dog sounds awesome - thanks for sharing again! I think I missed your first post on this book. I love books with dogs, but yeah, it makes me nervous something bad will happen and I CANNOT handle that.

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I need to check that the dog is ok!!

      Delete
  2. Looks fun, a dystopian from the dog's perspective? I like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig